Catcher – 12U Rec.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD has been pitching for a few years and it has always been a crap shoot who her catcher is going to be.

This year her pitching has exceeded the ability of 2 of our 4 catchers. They’ll catch her but are more a backstop then a catcher. Dropped 3rd strikes happen all the time. DD has given up the run limit twice this year striking out 4 batters.

The C I would put 3rd on the depth chart and DD have developed a relationship. I am relatively new to this but it is fun to watch. Passed balls and wild pitches are a big part of the Rec. game and not 1 ball gets by her when DD is pitching, she catches everything. Other Team has to go station to station no freebees.

The parents of the C have already asked how we can keep the 2 together and are asking about what DD plans to do in the Fall and next spring.

She is a little bit older then DD so I do not think they will ever hangout off the softball field but on the field it is fun to watch. They talk to each other during the games and go out of their way to get matched up at practice.

Feb 3, 2011
Sounds great, my friend. Given what you've said about this team overall, your DD should never be paired with anyone else. Your DD is the #1 pitcher and she's the #1 catcher, so they're the #1 battery and they should go ahead and claim one another.

What's cool is that this is something young pitchers and catchers figure out on their own, without any coach or parent involvement. The coach might pair them in practice or for a game, but the players are the ones who recognize when they have a connection. It's awesome to see that relationship form and develop.

One of the things I don't really like about softball is that you do have to make future plans so far in advance. We still have summer action remaining and have already had tryouts for fall TB and filled that roster and have also begun lining up plans for spring 2013. It would be so nice if we only had to worry about 1 season at the time.

My DD's catcher is 1-1/2 years older, so the only way for them to stay together after all would be for Mojo to jump to 12u A ball in January, which makes ME nervous.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
What's cool is that this is something young pitchers and catchers figure out on their own, without any coach or parent involvement. The coach might pair them in practice or for a game, but the players are the ones who recognize when they have a connection. It's awesome to see that relationship form and develop.

That is what fun about it is. DD is a better P and she is a better C when they are together.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06