Can a coach be called for Obstruction?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
ASA states in their case book that there CANNOT be verbal obstruction. However, there can be verbal interference.

Actually, the case book, at least back to 2007, makes no such statement.

I does give an example of defenders and a defensive coach screaming "go" prior to a ball being caught by F9 in order to get an appeal for leaving too soon. The justification was that the runner should recognize their own coach's voice and instructions.

That gives one simple scenario. It does not exclude all possible scenarios.

Mar 2, 2013
Actually, the case book, at least back to 2007, makes no such statement.

I does give an example of defenders and a defensive coach screaming "go" prior to a ball being caught by F9 in order to get an appeal for leaving too soon. The justification was that the runner should recognize their own coach's voice and instructions.

That gives one simple scenario. It does not exclude all possible scenarios.

Yes, MTR, it gives one example to explain the ruling. And it specifically addresses both defensive players and defensive coaches. And it specifically says NO VERBAL OBSTRUCTION. Do you feel it is necessary for ASA to right out every scenario? What, if any rule support, whether in the rule book or case book, do you have for calling verbal obstruction? You have nothing. Try applying a little common sense here and there.

Jun 22, 2008
I see no such statement in the case book I have access to. Not sure how they could justify ruling verbal inteference, but not verbal obstruction. Should defensive players not be just as capable of recognizing their own coaches and teammates voices as the offense? If so, why then call an offensive player for verbal interference, but not a defensive player for verbal obstruction?

Mar 26, 2013
ASA definition for Obstruction says "The act of a defensive team member." I can't find a definition of "team member" - what is it?

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
ASA definition for Obstruction says "The act of a defensive team member." I can't find a definition of "team member" - what is it?

A team member is anyone permitted in the dugout area or on the field. A manager, coach, scorekeeper (if in the team area), player, etc. It is not a parent or spectator. Don't know if it was on this site, but there was a thread about a "coach" that occupied the coaches box for about 4 innings and then went and sat in the stands. This individual was coaching, so is considered a team member, even if for just this game, and is restricted to staying in the team area.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I was coaching first base. Runner on 2nd and 1 out we were tied at the time. Our batter hit a hard grounder to F5 who proceeded to overthrow first. I was yelling "Go 2, go 2, " to my BR. The RF who was backing up first got the ball and threw to 2nd base. Meanwhile, our BR on third ran home for, as it turns out, the winning run. The other team's HC tried to get me ejected for verbal interference. The PU thought about it for a split second after watching the play develop and told the other coach to go sit down. Looking back on it now, I guess I can see where he might be coming from even if it was unintentional. Would any other of the umpires on here have called it differently?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30