Camps for an 8th grader?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
At the 12U USA AAG, a girl jacked a ball about 230 feet off a tee and then hit 64mph in the pitching speed contest. Gasso did the initial speech, so she may have seen it.
I doubt she stuck around to see 12-13 YO kids hit balls off a tee but I could be wrong..

May 13, 2023
A friend of mine always posts his daughter's Hitting off a tee.
Even while with hitting instructor
Hitting off a tee
Hitting off a tee
Hitting off a tee

Okay can see your swing,
But can you show us what you can do with it on moving pitches and locations?

meehhh tee work doesnt impress me.

Yeah I get it can see Power off a tee except for with the bats and rocket ball, already expect power.

Jun 8, 2016
A friend of mine always posts his daughter's Hitting off a tee.
Even while with hitting instructor
Hitting off a tee
Hitting off a tee
Hitting off a tee

Okay can see your swing,
But can you show us what you can do with it on moving pitches and locations?

meehhh tee work doesnt impress me.

Yeah I get it can see Power off a tee except for with the bats and rocket ball, already expect power.
I honestly don't care for people posting BP in general on social media unless they are looking for help..Yeah you are practicing, good for you, that should be the norm..That said everybody does it in 2023 so 🤷‍♂️

Jun 8, 2016
We have a local D1 school that offers weekly clinics/skills sessions as well as team camps. The clinics are weeknights throughout the fall-winter and run by the college coach and various players. The attendance during the weeknight clinics is super low, mainly due to lack of advertising but that's not my problem and we benefit. My daughter has gained a wealth of knowledge, especially on the days that she's literally one on one with instruction.
Weekly skills camps are a bit different than a 1 day skills camp in terms of being able to actually have an effect on improving ones skills..

Feb 25, 2022
Weekly skills camps are a bit different than a 1 day skills camp in terms of being able to actually have an effect on improving ones skills..
I totally agree. I should have explained that we attended a 1 day skills camp in the Spring of 2021. It was there we got the info on the weekly sessions, which has benefited my daughter.
I believe strongly in networking due to the nature of my job and I've noticed that in softball, networking is key to opening doors.
We are extremely lucky that our local high school and community college both have decent softball programs and coaches who give back to the community, allowing younger girls to join in on some practices, providing players for community service hours to help at our practices, etc.. One coach has become my daughter's hitting instructor. The community college door was also opened by attending a 1 day camp.
Like stated above, some camps may be a money grab but we do them when we can because my daughter loves the experience. I also tell her to go in with the attitude that you will learn at least one thing, whether it be a drill, mindset, footwork.... She has yet to leave one clinic or camp saying she learned nothing.

Oct 4, 2018
It's not always about getting seen to get recruited. If you attend the same growing up the coaches will remember you and they will recognize you as you actually get to the age of recruitment. As long as the skill set is there and your academics goals match up and of course if your parents went to the school go a long way!!

Right, but a girl that's an 8 who went to 23 Clemson camps versus a girl who's a 10 who went to 1 Clemson camp.

Clemson takes the 10.

I get that if everything else is equal perhaps going to more camps gives you an edge. But as you say, it's the skills and academics that matter most.

And parents going to the school doesn't get much anymore, I've been told. Which in my case is a bummer, as my daughter does show some interest in being a Tar Heel.

Jun 8, 2016
DD is going to a team camp this weekend..they don't provide lunch..wth is that? Luckily DW has Subway coupons or else I was backing out.. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018
DD is going to a team camp this weekend..they don't provide lunch..wth is that? Luckily DW has Subway coupons or else I was backing out.. :ROFLMAO:

I was reading about one for this coming weekend, and it did call out "Lunch Not Provided". I thought, really? $350 to field grounders and hit BP and you can't even get them a lunch?

Jun 8, 2016
I was reading about one for this coming weekend, and it did call out "Lunch Not Provided". I thought, really? $350 to field grounders and hit BP and you can't even get them a lunch?
This one is a thousand per team so maybe at least gas station cuisine could have been provided..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12