Camera Fence Mount

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 21, 2019
I'm looking for a fence mount that will hold a GoPro and smartphone at the same time. Anyone have any recommendations?

Feb 1, 2022

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
EDIT: After walking away and thinking about the original question, I realized I missed the boat. No, we do not recommend the dual setup shown above on a net setting. The center of gravity is too far away from the mount surface and you will struggle with stability as well as apply to much weight to the fence itself. In my opinion, when shooting on net, a camera that is rugged (AKA, GoPro) is the suggested device. We do occasionally use older refurbished smartphones on net for streaming purposes. But keep it tucked up close to the bracket to, again, keep the center of gravity close. A Mevo Start is possible, but has a little back weight. And as the Mevo is not rated as a sports action camera, it certainly is a risk due to impact forces possible.

Original response:
Stability is more of a product of the quality of the mesh itself. If the net is loose and swaying in the wind, unless you can do something to stabilize it, the video will have movement. We keep long bungees and a couple 15lb dumbbells in the the car when we travel. If the net is loose, we use this to hold it back a bit. But if the net is tight, you can't tell the difference from the final footage. We do however make several suggestions to setup your Spyder to protect both the net as well as your camera:

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2020
Huntley, IL
I have tried virtually every mount in the business. I use this one solely now and handles all situations I have encountered.

Jul 14, 2018
Ohh, gear envy!

@JayIndy : where did you get that handy bar? Do you remember what it’s called?

@Josh Greer: It looks like there is some kind of spacer on the arm where it attaches to the Spyder’s cross bar (underneath in the photo). I have had a hard time securing my camera to the crossbar, is that some kind of doo-hickey that I’m missing from my arsenal?

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 1, 2022
EDIT: After walking away and thinking about the original question, I realized I missed the boat. No, we do not recommend the dual setup shown above on a net setting. The center of gravity is too far away from the mount surface and you will struggle with stability as well as apply to much weight to the fence itself. In my opinion, when shooting on net, a camera that is rugged (AKA, GoPro) is the suggested device. We do occasionally use older refurbished smartphones on net for streaming purposes. But keep it tucked up close to the bracket to, again, keep the center of gravity close. A Mevo Start is possible, but has a little back weight. And as the Mevo is not rated as a sports action camera, it certainly is a risk due to impact forces possible.

Original response:
Stability is more of a product of the quality of the mesh itself. If the net is loose and swaying in the wind, unless you can do something to stabilize it, the video will have movement. We keep long bungees and a couple 15lb dumbbells in the the car when we travel. If the net is loose, we use this to hold it back a bit. But if the net is tight, you can't tell the difference from the final footage. We do however make several suggestions to setup your Spyder to protect both the net as well as your camera:

Thanks for the advice. I just ordered the rig with the attachments for the GoPro and cell phone. Really looking forward to stepping up our streaming / recording game.

So we should be fine with the mount and just a GoPro on netting?

I guess I can go back to the tried and true tripod with a cell phone mount for live streaming. It worked pretty well last year. I just noticed going back onto TM and looking at archived videos that some stopped recording and others had stuttering because of wifi reception.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
This was my rig when I was running two devices...
1643831556669.png

Fence Clip plus carbon tube with device mounting accessories (I'm a fan of Small Rig products found on Amazon).

I was happy to move to one device that both records and streams - Mevo Plus. This is my current rig...
1643831947228.png

The fence attachment is a tripod phone mount that closes small enough to fit chainlink (most don't go small enough) and a short articulating arm. A couple of years ago, there was a discussion about low-budget ways to mount a camera, and I came up with this for less than $40. It has become my preferred mount. That said, I keep a LynkSpyder in my car for time we play on fields with netting backstops.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles