Calculating pitch speeds from video

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Assuming speed at the point of release is 60 mph and assuming no loss of speed, there will be about 1/100th second difference in travel time to the plate. The ball is traveling at 88 feet per second. However, the ball will lose approximately 1 mph of speed for each 7 feet of travel so the pitch released from 36 feet will be going slightly slower when it crosses the plate - in theory, 55 mph versus 54.86 mph.

The physics of it all are pretty complicated to say the least. The article below explains it.

http://0314c3a.netsolhost.com/wordpress1/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/BALL-SPEED-SLOW.pdf

That number is from baseball. It is not a valid constant for a pitcher who is spins the ball fairly well (> 20rps) much less an elite pitcher that is above 30 approaching 40rps. For example you will see a significant difference between a faux rise (bulletspin) and a legit rise.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2016
Obviously, there are a huge number of variables. I'm not sure what you mean by a legit rise in the sense that a riseball never actually rises but instead falls less quickly than a fast ball and has the spin to further confuse batters.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Obviously, there are a huge number of variables. I'm not sure what you mean by a legit rise in the sense that a riseball never actually rises but instead falls less quickly than a fast ball and has the spin to further confuse batters.

I think [MENTION=10413]riseball[/MENTION] is referring to a true riseball with 12-6 backspin vs. a high fastball with bullet (corkscrew) spin...

longball00

Softball is my obsession
Apr 8, 2014
Willoughby, Ohio
RevFire is average speed and Pocket Radar is maximum speed...and the RevFire is easy to fool by changing the distance thrown.

That makes it more confusing LOL! We have been finding the Rev Fire (Average speed and set to right distance) 3-5 MPH faster than the Pocket Radar Ball Coach (max speed). Shouldn't it be the other way around with your explanation? We are just not sure which to go by. It is nice to see the spin rate on the Rev Fire though.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Doing it with video ... leaves you with a clip. The work involved will put the rating into perspective.... only needed @ once a month.

I'm not looking for a "weights and measures" certified reading.... I'm looking for different times for different pitches. Progressions.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
That makes it more confusing LOL! We have been finding the Rev Fire (Average speed and set to right distance) 3-5 MPH faster than the Pocket Radar Ball Coach (max speed). Shouldn't it be the other way around with your explanation? We are just not sure which to go by. It is nice to see the spin rate on the Rev Fire though.

If you are getting a higher reading with the RevFire I am 98.2% sure your catcher is setting up too close to the plate, which will affect the results.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom