Cage for the backyard

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 14, 2013
Any recomendations for a batting cage for the yard for my daughters? I have a huge backyard that can accomodate just about anything. I want to get the most affordable one as possible? Has anyone built their own? Thanks for the help!!

Jan 10, 2013
Maryland
Any recomendations for a batting cage for the yard for my daughters? I have a huge backyard that can accomodate just about anything. I want to get the most affordable one as possible? Has anyone built their own? Thanks for the help!!

We got a heater batting cage system for our backyard. Came with a heater pitching machine. For a 48' cage and the machine we paid right around $1150 on Ebay. It was simple to put together and easy to take down for the winter, and the "super storm" that decided to grace us here on the east coast a few months back. We broke one of the poles during assembly called heater they shipped out a replacement the next day. Excellent customer service.

Check ebay for some a decent prices.

If you are going to build your own, make sure the cage is 12' wide and space poles about every 4 feet. You can find netting for a decent price on ebay as well. HTH

Apr 1, 2010
We bought d-i-y canopy fittings (you want greater than 90 degrees so that the legs slant out) from creativeshelters.com and EMT conduit from our local Home Depot to make a framework and then draped netting over it like a tablecloth over a table. It's inexpensive, easy to put up and does an amazingly good job.

Adding more detail...
This ends up being shaped like a trapezoid. Every 10 feet, you have a section going across that looks like the bottom part of a capital A, and you have 10' conduit running between each of the sections. It can basically be as long as you want. Each additional 10' in length requires 5 extra pieces of conduit and two extra fittings. You want to get net for a 12' high cage to get the drape right. You can see pictures in listings on eBay...

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2010
I first went with the Heater cage with the flexible poles that created an arc that the net went over. I didn't like it because the wind would push it down easily. I decided to dedicate a portion of my yard for a permanent cage. Bought the net online--about $500. Had a fence building guy come in and install 12 feet long 3 inch pipe. 240 lbs of concrete for each pole ( three feet in the ground )--this thing isn't going to blow over and it hasn't. I already had a Jugs machine. We use it for machine work, front toss, soft toss, and catching drills. Cost of the pipe install was $1000.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC