Bunting situations

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2011
With lead runner on first, where is the best place to lay down the bunt? Lead runner on second? Thanks.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I think SCflash is asking where the batter should place the ball.

Due to the size of the field and the time it takes a runner to go from base to base, ball placement by the bunter isn't as important in softball as it is in baseball. About the only situation where the runner is in danger of being put out is if the batter leaves the ball in the dirt right in front of the plate, allowing the catcher to bare hand the ball and make a play.

The bigger problem is that kids don't know how to sacrifice bunt. So, when they are told to sacrifice bunt, they are focused more on trying to get on base rather than trying to advance the runner.

Apr 13, 2010
My DD was 8 of 9 on sacrifice bunts this fall. The coach made sure to point that out to the entire team. I really appreciated that and the coaches she had this fall because they emphasized many small ball skills that many of my daughters coaches in the past have not.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
With lead runner on first, where is the best place to lay down the bunt? Lead runner on second? Thanks.

You never want to bunt directly to the pitcher.

As for runenr on 1st it just depends on who is crashing harder at 1st or 3rd, you generally want to bunt to the other one.

With a runner on 2nd you want to try and make 3rd base field the ball.

Jan 12, 2011
Vienna, VA
There will be a lot of different opinions on this

If your goal is to advance the runner (sacrifice) then I say bunt down the 1st base line. The batter runner should run in foul territory so she doesn't make contact with the ball. The baserunner(s) should be going on the pitch so she should already be at the next base and looking for the opportunity to take another before the defense touches the ball.

In almost all other situations I say bunt down the 3rd base line to give the bunter the best chance to reach 1B safely. If the defense makes a play on her the other baserunner(s) should take advantage.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
There is a lot put into play in SB part of which depends on
the age group you are coaching. We teach the batter to
'push' the ball up the baseline to take it out of the hands of
the catcher (strongest arm on the team). When executing the
sac bunt the pressure is clearly on the defense. Last week in a
game we were down 1-0 one out runners on 2 and 3, batter
put a bunt about 8 feet up 1B line, ball was fielded and thrown
past the cover at 1B, 2 runs score, we win 2-1. The most difficult part
of this play is convincing the batter that we are intentionally running
her into an out. The younger girls don't like it or understand it.

Getting back to your question, I like to bunt to 3 with runner at 2nd
either side with runner at 1 never up the middle to pitcher

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
I look at what hand the players throw with. With a RHer at 1st, up the 1st baseline is usually a good place to put the ball. If they have a LHer at 1st, it's better to bunt to 3rd when moving a runner to 3rd. Unless it's a hard bunt, she won't have time to look at 3rd and still get the runner at 1st. With a RHer at 1st and a LHer pitching, putting the ball about 15-20 feet out between the pitcher and the 1st baseman can cause a hesitation by both because they both have to backhand the ball. Trying to score a runner from 3rd, I like to bunt toward the glove side of the pitcher, whichever hand she throws with.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The most difficult part
of this play is convincing the batter that we are intentionally running her into an out. The younger girls don't like it or understand it.

The older girls don't like it much either...

Feb 6, 2009

At U12 and u14, I always asked the girls to try bunt toward third. I have found that many girls trying to bunt toward first, don't get the bat around far enough and they bunt it foul. At least if they are trying to bunt to third, it's more likely to be bunted fair.

As they get older, I would say first or third for the sac but. Just not back to the pitcher or right out in fron the the catcher.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes