Bunting Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 29, 2018
1) The batter lays down a bunt
2) When she throws the bat down she throws it down in front of the box and the ball.
3) The bat and ball hit each other and it sends the ball off in another direction in fair play.

What is the call?

The Blue called her safe because the batter didn't throw the bat at the ball they just happen to hit each other.

I have no idea what the proper call is but it seems like if this was legal coaches would be teaching kids to throw the bat into the field of play to try and interfere with the defense.

May 29, 2015
What code was it under?

Trying a new method with the USA book here ...

I could post the rule, but this one gets a little tricky. It is easier if I just go straight the USA Softball Rules Supplement in the back of the book:

C716FDEA-57C6-445E-A93F-0C1DE52EEFC9.jpeg

May 29, 2015
NFHS Interpretation from April 4, 2019

April 4, 2019

NFHS Softball Weekly Rule Interpretations

Situation 1: B1 hits the ball and drops her bat into fair territory as she is heading to first base. The bat is stationary, and the ball has backspin and rolls into the stationary bat. Ruling: This is a live ball and contacting the bat has no bearing on the play. (Rule 1-8-3)

Situation 2: B1 bunts the ball and drops her bat in fair territory as she runs toward first base. The bat rolls into the ball that is stationary a foot into fair territory directly in front of home plate. Ruling: Dead ball, B1 is out. Any time the discarded bat hits the ball a second time on or over fair territory the batter is out. (Rule 7-4-13)

Situation 3: B1 bunts the ball and drops her bat in fair territory as she runs toward first base. The bat is rolling toward the ball and the ball is rolling toward the bat and they make contact in fair territory. Ruling: Dead ball, B1 is out. Any time the discarded bat hits the ball a second time on or over fair territory the batter is out. Even if both the bat and ball are both moving toward each other, if the bat is moving toward the ball when they contact the bat is considered to have hit the ball a second time and is a violation of Rule 7-4-13, resulting in a dead ball and the batter being called out.

Mar 20, 2019
NFHS Interpretation from April 4, 2019

April 4, 2019

NFHS Softball Weekly Rule Interpretations

Situation 1: B1 hits the ball and drops her bat into fair territory as she is heading to first base. The bat is stationary, and the ball has backspin and rolls into the stationary bat. Ruling: This is a live ball and contacting the bat has no bearing on the play. (Rule 1-8-3)

Situation 2: B1 bunts the ball and drops her bat in fair territory as she runs toward first base. The bat rolls into the ball that is stationary a foot into fair territory directly in front of home plate. Ruling: Dead ball, B1 is out. Any time the discarded bat hits the ball a second time on or over fair territory the batter is out. (Rule 7-4-13)

Situation 3: B1 bunts the ball and drops her bat in fair territory as she runs toward first base. The bat is rolling toward the ball and the ball is rolling toward the bat and they make contact in fair territory. Ruling: Dead ball, B1 is out. Any time the discarded bat hits the ball a second time on or over fair territory the batter is out. Even if both the bat and ball are both moving toward each other, if the bat is moving toward the ball when they contact the bat is considered to have hit the ball a second time and is a violation of Rule 7-4-13, resulting in a dead ball and the batter being called out.
So in Situation 3 if the bat is rolling away from the ball and the ball hits it then it's the same as if the bat was stationary?

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

May 29, 2015
Think of it this way ... did the bat initiate the second contact? If the bat does not initiate the contact, I would say that it is the same as a stationary bat ... play on.

For what it is worth (which is very little), I still find this to be one of the silliest interpretations in the book. It is an amalgamated interpretation from two possible rules. Once the bat is discarded it is part of the field (1-8-3). Nothing references what direction anything is moving. 7-4-13 states the bat cannot hit the ball a second time after a hit or bunt. I see how you get there, but I’m not sold that that was the intent of that rule. Clarifying a “discarded bat” would help ... e.g., once it hits the ground? Once it stops moving? (I would be in favor of the latter, in which case any moving bat would be an illegal second contact.)

NFHS
Rule 1 Field and Equipment
SECTION 8 OTHER EQUIPMENT
ART. 3 . . . Loose equipment of the teams may not be on or near the field. A discarded bat by the batter or the catcher's mask and helmet are not examples of loose equipment. They are considered part of the playing field.

Rule 7 Batting
SECTION 4 BATTER IS OUT
ART. 13 . . . After hitting or bunting a ball, the bat hits the ball a second time while the ball is on or over fair territory, or is on or over foul territory and, in the umpire's judgment, had a chance to become a fair ball.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sterp