bunt defense question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2013
You MUST also teach your OF's about bunt coverage!. On a bunt every player on my team better be moving somewhere. Too many times I have seen teams work so hard on their IF bunt coverage they neglect the OF bunt coverage responsibilities. Seen too many 2B and 3B uncovered because someone "forgot" their assignment and the OF's were like "It's a bunt, the ball won't get to me so I will stand here......" or the RF doesn't come in to back up the throw to 1B with 2B covering because "It was just a bunt".

Sep 20, 2012
SE Ohio
What age group? You may be able to get away with it at younger ages.

14U team. At best "B" level. We'll be playing primarily in NSA tournaments.

The problem with it that I have is that it leaves the 1st base side completely open, and a smart team will do a push bunt past the pitcher on the 1st base side and now there is no chance for any out. We aren't going to be trying for an out at 2nd in this situation, so imo, the proper defense would be 1st, 3rd, and P charge; 2nd covers 1st, SS covers 3rd. It leaves 2B open (unless your CF cheats in to make the cover), but as long as SS is at 3B, the runner at 2B isn't going anywhere anyways.

Last edited:

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Osric- we do the same except some coaches don't let the Pitcher charge. I find some of our pitchers are EXCELLENT fielders and if they can make the play they are frequently in the best position to come up throwing. I don't see a runner being thrown out at 2B on a bunt, let alone being caught in a DP.
But as previously noted- the defensive possibilities can vary depending on skill level of the team.

Jul 14, 2010
14U team. At best "B" level. We'll be playing primarily in NSA tournaments.

The problem with it that I have is that it leaves the 1st base side completely open, and a smart team will do a push bunt past the pitcher on the 1st base side and now there is no chance for any out. We aren't going to be trying for an out at 2nd in this situation, so imo, the proper defense would be 1st, 3rd, and P charge; 2nd covers 1st, SS covers 3rd. It leaves 2B open (unless your CF cheats in to make the cover), but as long as SS is at 3B, the runner at 2B isn't going anywhere anyways.

You don't want SS breaking to or covering 3rd with runner only on 1st. SS needs to cover 2nd and have P, 1 (F3) or LF cover 3rd to prevent the extra base (usually just having someone there will stop the runner / base coach).

If your SS covers 3rd you are giving up a free base to 2nd. Say batter showing bunt but 1st pitch is bad or a ball. Opposing Coach notices your bunt coverage - bunt is off, fake bunt is on and runner is going. No one covering 2nd for the steal. SS has to cover 2nd for the steal - you don't know if the bunt is legit, fake bunt / steal, straight steal, etc.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
Like many have said there are a ton of ways to do it. The way my team teaches it is as follows. 1B, 3B, P, C move for the ball on a bunt. SS covers either 2nd if no one is on or 3B is there was a runner on. 2B covers first every time. With runner on first CF covers 2B while LF and RF rotate as back ups. This is at the 12U level and works well but requires the SS to be a true SS and understand their rotation.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
We aren't going to be trying for an out at 2nd in this situation, so imo, the proper defense would be 1st, 3rd, and P charge;

First, if you are going to crash 1B and 3B, then the P stays back. Remember, the catcher will also be there as well. It is hard enough to keep three players from running into each other.

Second, for a low level 14U team, I doubt it will work.

(1) The first time a team bunts on you, the runner will try to take 3B. They will be testing you out. On your usual 14U team, the 2B has a decent glove and almost no arm. But, in this coverage, the 2B's job is to throw out a runner trying to advance to 3B after a bunt, meaning she will have to make a "bang-bang" throw across the entire diamond to hit the LF running in to cover 3B. I seriously doubt she can do it.
(2) Getting the 1B, 3B and C to avoid colliding with each other is quite a challenge.
(3) You are taking one of your top fielders (the P) out of the play.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2012
As others have already said, this really depends on the athleticism and capabilities of the players in question. In our system, the pitchers are "princesses" who should never touch the ball during a bunt unless it's unavoidable. We crash 3b, 1b and of course the catcher has anything right in front of the plate. Ideally 3B fields all bunts, and if possible, gets the lead runner defined in OP's scenario. 2B covers 1st, SS covers 2nd, and P covers 3rd along with each outfielder cover the three bases as a backups. The catcher directs traffic by YELLING out the player who should field the bunt, and then the base that should receive the throw.

I you don't have quick or capable players in any of the positions a different coverage can be tailored to overcome that deficit.

Jun 11, 2013
I don't see much past 10U that a CF can cover 2nd on a bunt(or fake bunt steal) unless you are playing teams that just can't hit. Especially if you play on any turf field.

Dec 2, 2012
I don't see much past 10U that a CF can cover 2nd on a bunt(or fake bunt steal) unless you are playing teams that just can't hit. Especially if you play on any turf field.

I would argue one would not want a CF covering 2nd on bunt coverage unless there is no other option. An overthrow or error when receiving the ball scores a run with no backup.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan