Bunt coverages

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
1st and 3rd is situational depending on the score, etc.
If I am tie or up by 1, the runner at 3B cannot score,
I either fake, or throw a short cutoff to get the out at 3b

Apr 23, 2009
I have also seen teams do several different things defensively with runners on 1st and 3rd while defending a bunt. Some have the 2nd baseman cover 1st, SS covers 2nd....others have 2nd cover 1st and SS cover third, leaving 2B open, or having the CF try to come in and cover, etc.

Mar 30, 2010
Pennsylvania
For my team, I have 3 coverages. First the corners charge and the pitcher fields the circle or bunts up the middle. Between the pitcher and third baseman, whoever fields the ball the other immediately turns and covers third with out watching the play at first. If the bunt is up the first base line the third baseman covers third imediately. Second coverage is with runners on first an second and you expect a bunt, if you have a good fielding pitcher let the third baseman back to cover third for the force out, pitcher cover the third base half of the infield with a play at third expected if the ball is fielded clean. First baseman charge when the batter shows bunt and the second baseman covers first. Shortstop takes the throw on all steals. If with runners on a first and second and a fake bunt/steal, third must respect the bunt and charge and the shortstop runs with the runner to cover third. My third coverage is with a power hitting left hander, I may keep the first baseman back to cover the bag, let the pitcher cover the first base half of the infield and the third baseman charge and cover the third base half of the infield

Feb 17, 2011
runner on 1st, same as above except LF covers 3rd. As soon as batter drops hands to bunt, corners, allready playing in, crash hard, Lf(knowing its a bunt situation) sprints to cover 3rd. Tough for 3b to sprint back, turned around in position. Lf is in perfect receiving posture, more important is LF back is never turned away from the play. Once put out at 1st 2b immediately throws to SS covering 2nd as a lot of runners won't stop on the base. You'd be surprised at the double plays here, the runners back is turned and they usually take a step off before looking. Very important that CF backs up the angle for this throw from 1st!! 3b or P backs up 3rd

runner at 2nd...again corners playing in, watching hands and crash. SS covers 3rd, 2nd to 1st and again after put out, looking to throw the runner that advanced to 3rd (i see a lot of rundowns here). Outfield, CF covers 2nd, LF n RF back up thier perspective base

You asked who covers 2nd on steals?....always the SS

Exactly how we do it also.
The throw behind the runner to second is a gem very few people use... we got two runners on it last year in 14u. Ive heard if the SS covering second says under her breath in disgust "oh no" as the runner approaches second (as if the ball was overthrown to first) helps out a little too. lol

Aug 2, 2008
Guess I am a little different but we have had success, and we minimize running around. Its important the fielders dont cheat, play the ball first. Runner on 1st, SS covers 3rd, she doesnt leave until the bunt hits the ground so fake bunt steals arent a problem. How many times has a team succesfully thrown out a runner going to 2nd after fielding a bunt, if we really need 2nd coverage well bring in our centerfielder. If the other team wants to give up an out just to move a runner to 2nd thats fine with me, well take the out and give them 2nd. runners 1st and 3rd depends on the game. We practice 1st and 3rd alot and have had success fielding the bunt and throwing to first and either holding the runner at 3rd or throwing home and getting an out at the plate also. To many coverage scenarios cause confunsion, its all about throwing and catching. We are 12-u I suppose as they get older we might have to change things up a bit.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez