Bunt coverages

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 9, 2010
14U is the age group I'm working with. I am looking for your different coverages with runners on base. Example, runner on first who covers third? Who covers 2B for steal? Runner on 2B?? So on. Thanks

Mar 13, 2010
Runner on first, bunt is put down. Shortstop is covering second, second base is taking first. Catcher covers third. Third base or first base takes home, with the other backing up. In the situation where catcher takes the ball, third base turns and runs like hell to take their own base.

Runner on second base, shortstop is covering third, second base is taking first. Centre field takes second base, and third or first take home if the catcher is fielding the ball, with the other backing up.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
Bunt with runner on 1st, SS covers 2nd, 2nd covers 1st, and depending on who fields the ball either pitcher covers 3rd, or 3rd gets back to cover and either 1st or pitcher backs up home. Runner on 2nd, SS covers 3rd, 2nd covers 1st, CF covers 2nd. Don't usually throw to 2nd with CF covering as LF will be backing 3rd, and RF will be backing 1st and a bad throw scores everybody. She's there just to keep runner honest.

Mostly like Lozza, but I like to keep the catcher at home with the equipment on for a play at the plate. Also to keep from wearing her out running to 3rd with all the equipment.

runner on 1st, same as above except LF covers 3rd. As soon as batter drops hands to bunt, corners, allready playing in, crash hard, Lf(knowing its a bunt situation) sprints to cover 3rd. Tough for 3b to sprint back, turned around in position. Lf is in perfect receiving posture, more important is LF back is never turned away from the play. Once put out at 1st 2b immediately throws to SS covering 2nd as a lot of runners won't stop on the base. You'd be surprised at the double plays here, the runners back is turned and they usually take a step off before looking. Very important that CF backs up the angle for this throw from 1st!! 3b or P backs up 3rd

runner at 2nd...again corners playing in, watching hands and crash. SS covers 3rd, 2nd to 1st and again after put out, looking to throw the runner that advanced to 3rd (i see a lot of rundowns here). Outfield, CF covers 2nd, LF n RF back up thier perspective base

You asked who covers 2nd on steals?....always the SS

Nov 29, 2009
Runner on first, bunt is put down. Shortstop is covering second, second base is taking first. Catcher covers third. Third base or first base takes home, with the other backing up. In the situation where catcher takes the ball, third base turns and runs like hell to take their own base.

Why are you killing your catcher?

Runner on 1st with bunt on the ground. Corners crash. If 1st or the pitcher fields the ball 3rd goes back to the base. If 3rd take the bunt pitcher covers 3rd. Both cases the SS goes to 2nd and 2nd base covers 1st. If 1st base does not take the bunt she ducks down and gets out of the way.

Apr 23, 2009
Does anyone do anything special with runners on 1st and 3rd defensively when the hitter bunts?

Mar 13, 2010
I've seen 'fake' throws done. If done in a convincing manner, it works surprisingly often.

Jan 15, 2009
Tough question to answer when short of college or high level older travel ball, 99% of teams will take a pitch and attempt to move the runner over so bunt coverage is moot. Your defensive choices are

1. Get the out at 2, let the run score.
2. Let runner at 1 advance.
3. Fake to 2, try to get runner at 3 out. (either a fake throw, or a throw cutoff short)
4. Straight pick off on runner at 3rd

Even at the college level I've seen teams choose defensive indiferrence on this play, but if the baserunners are just average speed a good college level defense can turn two outs here and so in that situation you might actually see a team bunt with runners at 1st and 3rd.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez