Bucket Dad Pain

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
I know we have all felt the pain of taking a ball in the dirt off the shins. Last week I realized that I am getting way to old to be careless.

DD needed to get some work in and I got home from work a tad late. Rather than put out the lights, we decided we could get a light workout in before it gets to dark. Big mistake. At our pitching area in the back yard, our neighbor has a really nice white fence around his yard, that is behind the pitcher, from a catchers viewpoint. She barely got through warmups, when she started heating them up. About the third pitch she threw, I never even saw it until it was about 2 feet in front of me. Never got the glove on the ball and took a direct hit right on the shin bone. Ball never touched the dirt, my glove, the bucket....just my shin. I went down in a heap of blubbering mess. After rolling around for a few minutes and my DD thinking I was having a seizure or something, I was able to regain some small measure of dignity. I limped to the garage, got the lights and finished her workout without speaking a word. Mostly cause the pain was so bad. HUrts more today than it did that night. Bruise looks like an explosion went off on my shin.

Lesson learned for me. Time to gear up. If I am getting hit and the ball isn't even in the dirt......I am in trouble.

Jun 18, 2010
Oh man, can I relate. I have been wearing shin guards and a catcher's helmet ever since I took a hard one off the shin. Mine was a drop ball in the dirt that I missed and hit right on the shin bone.

I'll add that I believe my vision is getting poorer too. Where DD takes pitching lessons, the floors are green astro turf and the walls are painted greeen. I have a hard time picking the ball up right way. They can get on top of you in a heartbeat.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I feel your pain. I have taken a couple off the shin and one memorable one that hit my steel toe and went straight up between my legs there was no regaining composure and continuing with that one

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2013
I feel your pain. I have take. Couple off the shin and one lee able one that hitting steel tow Nd shy straight up between my legs there was no regaining composure and continuing with that one

Don't you just love mobile phones ;-)

Lol! You guys deserve props for what you do for your DD's and all without their realization---I am a big sissy!!! My husband took a BAD ONE at a tournament no less. Needless to say...we made an immediate trip to Academy -once he could walk- and he keeps his cup close for just in case he might need it.

Aug 14, 2011
Spin-off...Pitching screen dad...I found a Bow Net sccreen to go over the same frame as the Big Mouth...She still manages to get me from time to time...

Sep 20, 2012
SE Ohio
been there in hitting practice. Daughter hit one up the middle and I never had a chance to react. Was limping for the next 3 days. In an odd way, I was never more proud of her. Solid contact, up the middle and really, really hard.

Now I stand behind a pitching screen though.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
All bucket moms and dads are facing "double jeopardy"......we are getting older/slower/fatter and our DD is getting bigger/stronger/faster! I have been hit on the shin more times than I care to remember. Last week my DD buried a drop ball into the front lip of the home plate, I went down to scoop the hop and the ball jumped up and caught me right on the chin. I then proceeded to fall off the back of my bucket and get tangled in the netting of the batting cage. Had a nice black-n-blue bruise for a week.....and my DD and her PC are still laughing about it!

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
I took one in the eat off a ball DD hit up the middle last year.....didn't get behind the screen fast enough.

I have full catchers gear with a hockey mask I wear to catch the Demon Spawn when she throws.....taking one off the chin convinced me to spend the $$$ last year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG