Bringing in a good pitcher to sub

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 25, 2014
I've heard a few bad teams talk to some really good pitchers sub for their team when they are available. I know softball is not a one girl/woman sport but the pitcher can make a HUGE difference. I know its allowed a lot of places but I was curious if anyone else felt like I did. TIA

ArkFastpitch

Dont' I know you?
Sep 20, 2013
Pretty common in TB. Especially by weaker teams that want to be competitive in a certain tourney. DD has been that pitcher before and also been on a team who picked up a pitcher. It can create hard feelings if its not handled right.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I kind of think you have to dance with who brung ya, but I can understand a coach wanting to get a feel for what his team looks like with stronger pitching, or wanting to just notch a win after being beaten up a bunch of times.

Jan 8, 2013
South Carolina
My DD has picked up with several other teams that needed pitching for tournaments. We did this a lot when she was first learning to pitch to get more mound time….we only did this a few times this year. On DDs current team we have 3 bracket pitchers. One was out with a fracture in her lower back so we picked up another pitcher frequently. Yes, you can survive with 2 bracket pitchers, but if you are going 6+ games deep in a tournment I would prefer to have three. As a parent, I greatly appreciated having that additional pitcher so we didn't have to wear the others out.

Yes, it can make a huge difference for a team that is limited on pitching. However, keep in mind that that player won't be with you forever so you better let your other pitchers get some mound time to help them develop as well.

Apr 25, 2014
the scenarios that I don't like are the ones where the sub walks in. And is the best player/pitcher by FAR. Almost so obvious that there is no way she's a part of the team. And is the #1 pitcher/only pitcher and batting 3rd or 4th kinda sub

May 31, 2012
You should be happy your team gets a chance to compete against a top notch pitcher/player.

May 31, 2012
In fl usssa basically doesn't have roster limitations. A kid could play for a different team every week and there are some that do.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Pickup players are common in TB, but you hate to see a pickup pitcher come in and dominate a tournament. The lower level (B and C) tournament directors in our area will "redline" a pitcher if he/she thinks they are sandbagging. They are allowed to play in the game, but cannot pitch.

Apr 25, 2014
This is the exact scenario I'm talking about. But no one around her has a rule to "redline" a player. (That I'm aware of)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1