Breaking pitches spin and grip

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 1, 2014
My DD is entering the world of breaking pitches as she will transition into 12u next year. Her PC likes to start with the screw ball after he is decently satisfied with their mechanics and they have a good change up. I have a few questions as I learn the basics of these pitches.

Grip - she throws her screw ball with a two seem grip with her index finger along the long seam (coming off of the smile). I have talked to other dads whose DD's hold the ball like a circle change?? Donno why. Maybe they let the ball fall off of the side where the index finger isn't on the ball? What is the grip that should be used for I/R?

Spin - currently, my DD throws a screw with a 4:30 to 10:30 spin as she sees it leaving her hand. (Using the clock. Hope it makes sense). This causes the ball to drop a little and move inside to a RHB. I believe that a 3:00 to 6:00 spin would be optimal. Right? How hard should I push for it?
If she gets her fingers under the ball she can throw an accidental rise or a 1:30 to 7:30 screw/rise ball. This is usually accidentally and when she doesn't have her fingers pointing down at release. I understand she will be inconsistent throwing the ball as she learns it. The "scrise" makes a nice brush back pitch.😬 but I don't want her using that in a game without more consistentcy.

Right now she is throwing about 35% strikes with the screw so improvements are needed.
Thanks in advance for the tips and advice.

imo her first breaking pitch she should learn is her drop, then the curve, followed by the screw and finally the rise, also you should get her a spinner for practice it looks like a weight you slip over the end of the bat but bigger and you can have her practice the different spins virtually anywhere with them also you can get a ball that is taped down the middle for a visual tool on the different spins, and get her working with a 12" ball right away cause going from a 11" to a 12" ball can be a big difference for a pitcher and if she has small hands can impact her ability to control the ball. also I should say learning a screw from a pc for the first breaking pitch is bad form #1 your DD is going to a bigger ball = less control at first plus the mechanics of that pitch are imo are not for a pitcher just learning breaking pitches maybe im wrong too. just my 2 cents.

I think the screwball is a wonderful pitch,,,,,,,,,but I would be extremely careful that it doesn't ruin her mechanics. The way most teach that pitch it creates a disconnection of the upper and lower torso (butt out posture) in an attempt to get the angle/inside out action. I have seen so many pitcher who are nearly totally ruined because this disconnected posture "bleeds" into all their pitch mechanics.
Like xygen suggested......I would not make the screwball one of my first movement pitches I learned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619