Brands and style of leather softballs you use?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Sterling are our personal favorite, but if we did a blind taste test (yuck) I'm guessing we couldn't tell much difference between many of them.
I get what you're saying, but I don't know? Those Sterling and Trump Evil balls are stand out to me! Years back we were strictly a Dudley ball buyer, but I'd never personally buy Dudley's over those other two.....with my own money!

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Totally understand, sorry was talking 12 inch...We have synthetics, but they turn to an oval mush ball mess rather quickly.
If you are using these balls to hit, then I would buy the Evil BP52s all day long. They last much longer than regular balls when you
are just beating them up with bats all day, every day.
Thats if I was using my money, thats the ball I would buy for BP.

Jun 19, 2020
We use Sterling most of the year for pitching at home. DD's high school uses the Dudley Thunder Heat so we throw those during HS season.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
We use Sterling most of the year for pitching at home. DD's high school uses the Dudley Thunder Heat so we throw those during HS season.
My daughter doesn't like the Sterling balls for pitching. She says they are too slick. On the other hand, the SB-12s seem to be a bit tackier and last a long time. We have used Dream Seams, Thunder Heat, Trump Stote, and Sterlings over the years, not to mention the Rhino LL balls that turned into eggs after three swings, but we always come back to SB-12s.

I think it could be geographical as to who uses what softballs. We found the Northeast to use Thunder Heats and SB-12s more than anything. However, the Sterlings seem to be used more often when you go out west and down south.

JOHNN

Just a dad of 3 girls
Aug 5, 2019
South Louisiana
We typically use Rawlings Dream Seams but my daughter does love to pitch using the Dudley Thunder Heats. For practice balls we use whatever used Dream Seams we have or Sterlings.

Jan 8, 2019
For straight BP, we’ve been using the leftover assortment from previous years, including crud we find on the fields and a bunch of ancient slow pitch balls. We hit them until they are pillows or rip.

Games, are Dudley CFPs until playoffs and beginning 2025 whole season.

Hack attack gets fed only the Baden ballistic balls with the Kevlar seams. Nice so far. Hard.

I like the Sterling balls, but they seem to be unavailable (as are many balls).

@LEsoftballdad, maybe out of all this you can send out a price sheet with current availability? 😉

If we could afford it, I would love to see a full basket of Sterlings for BP, a few buckets of CFPs for fielding and pitching (and new supply for games), and a few buckets of the Baden ballistics for the machine.

Jun 8, 2018
Sb- 12’s are not what they used to be. Seems like they turn into a mush ball very quickly

May 20, 2015
Thunder Heats were my go-to practice ball.....I've got about 10 dozen of them in my basement lol

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I like the Mark-1, but they do get torn up faster than some of the more expensive options. A couple foul balls/wild pitches off the backstop and the leather will start to tear.

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
If you are using these balls to hit, then I would buy the Evil BP52s all day long. They last much longer than regular balls when you
are just beating them up with bats all day, every day.
Thats if I was using my money, thats the ball I would buy for BP.
These will be all around practice, hitting, throwing, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles