BP without a cage

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 6, 2011
By the way, I didn't think to mention this in my OP - this is 10U. First year of kid pitch for many of these girls.

I coached 10U boys last year and we had a tough time getting enough BP in due to the same issues. Facing a live pitcher is such a tough adjustment for some of these kids. A lot of them were just starting to get their confidence up when the season ended. I'm hoping to reduce the learning curve somewhat this time around.

hen

Dec 1, 2010
Honesly haven't coached that young... maybe need to run a station per coach so they're supervised. Instead of doing the windmill, you could start them with front toss so the coaches are more accurate and the girls can get some confidence. We put girls in the infield to get some work in, but in light of safety that may not be an option.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Facing a live pitcher is such a tough adjustment for some of these kids. A lot of them were just starting to get their confidence up when the season ended. I'm hoping to reduce the learning curve somewhat this time around.

You are moving the conversation but my original comments still stand. Ideally find a pitcher, an older girl or parent that can pitch a little bit. If they cannot pitch from 35’ that is OK, do not get hung up on the distance. Pitch from 30’. Not sure how good your batters are but the pitcher not only needs to pitch but protect themselves which might mean buying a screen.

I like the Blue Flame machine if you do not have a P, it throws @45 mph. Should be able to get it for <$200, from what you described this sounds fast enough.

Jul 6, 2011
I like the Blue Flame machine if you do not have a P, it throws @45 mph. Should be able to get it for <$200, from what you described this sounds fast enough.

I have a UPM 45 (which may be the same thing) and definitely plan to use it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA