Boy on girls team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Do you want an emotional reaction or simply the facts?

The law is that schools receiving federal funds must give an equal opportunity for boys and girls to participate in sports based upon their desire to play sports. A child can't demand one sport or another, but the "slots" for participating in sports have to be proportional to their desire to play sports.

Prior to the 1990s, schools believed that girls didn't want to play sports. It turned out, after lots of surveys, that the schools were wrong. The interest by girls and boys to play sports is roughly equal.

E.g., if a school has 100 slots for boys varsity athletics (60 for football, 15 for basketball, 25 for baseball). Then, the school has to provide a 100 slots for girls athletics. So, schools end up with more girl sports than boy sports simply to balance it out.

Apr 25, 2010
If the schools are allowing girls to play football, then they should be allowing boys to play volleyball.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I wish they had boys volleyball in HS. A lot of us who played male sports would play volleyball and wall ball ( volleyball in a racketball court ) on weeknights and weekends. My wife and I played on a coed volleyball team up until 5-6 years ago. Not so sure I'd want to wear the short shorts the girls do though.

Sluggers the only problem I have with section IX is the football equation needs to be tweaked.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
I believe the law says the slots have to be proportionate to the enrollment at the school. If 65% of the students are girls, then 65% of the slots must be in girls sports. (although it may be $ spent, not slots). If they offer both boys and girls teams in the same sport, then each gender must play with their own gender.

I would not want my Sophomore daughter competing in Volleyball against a Boy (either on her team or as an opponent).

In my mind that would be similar to saying this at a 12U softball Tournament: "since you are not offering a place for 14U or 16U teams, then my 17 year old daughter (who is 16U eligible) should be allowed to play in your 12u Tournament."

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2010
Sluggers the only problem I have with section IX is the football equation needs to be tweaked.

I agree. Football just doesn't fit into the equation. The team size is disproportionally large, but it's too popular and brings in too much revenue to get the axe. So instead, schools lose sports like men's gymnastics, swimming, diving, waterpolo, archery, fencing, etc. Unintended consequences. I've got to think that the desired goal was for women to have opportunities in sports EXACTLY like gymnastics, swimming, diving, waterpolo, archery, fencing, etc. not for men to lose their opportunities.

Just look at the Olympics. Title IX and the opportunities it gave women brought the US a boatload of medals in women's events, no doubt about it. But our smaller men's sports are on the decline and it's not fair to those athletes.

I've argued this before, football is unique. It cannot reasonably be balanced and should be removed from consideration. Balance the men's sports other than football with women's sports.

Tennessee's Rules spell it out this way:
Q. A school has both a boys’ soccer program and a girls’ soccer program. Can a female student participate in
both the girls’ program and the boys’ program?
A. No. If the school has a girls’ soccer program, then any female student may participate on the girls’ soccer
program. If a school does not have a girls’ soccer program, then the student may participate on the boys’ soccer
team. This would also apply to basketball, bowling, cross country, golf, tennis, and track and field.
and.....
Q. Can a female student participate in both baseball and girls’ softball?
A. Yes. Baseball is not defined as a comparable sport to softball. A female student may participate in both girls’
softball and baseball.
and this....
Q. Can a boy participate on the girls’ volleyball team?
A. No. Girls’ volleyball, by its title, is a sport for girls only.
Although I am not aware of any girls that played both Baseball and Softball at the same time.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Sorry but not every school is going to have everything that every student wants. If a boy wants to play volleyball he will need to find a volleyball program somewhere else.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd