Blocking Secrets Revealed!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
[video=youtube_share;BNtnRm3_CRg]http://youtu.be/BNtnRm3_CRg[/video]

In this clip of Kara blocking, we measure her TTB. (Time To Block) We place lines and tracers on the video to monitor vertical movement, feet and hand movement. It's a great tool to help catchers see where they are at on their blocks and where to focus to improve and stay as safe as possible. Though only one part of our comprehensive training program, Kara's TTB illustrates what a catcher should strive towards in perfecting their blocking skills. Here's a few key points when blocking...

HANDS MOVE FIRST
Whether blocking down the middle or side -to-side, your hands move first to the ball. Your glove leads and throwing hand follows behind the glove. (Keep your throwing hand safe... Never let your pitcher see it after the sign is given)

BODY FOLLOWS HANDS
Again, any direction you block, your body follows the hands. Too often the pitch takes a bad hop or deflects off your mitt. Getting your body behind the hands when blocking saves runs from scoring and gets outs! To see how critical this point is, check out "Catchers, Block Or Catch"

SHOULDERS OVER BALL
Your goal when blocking should be to deflect ball into the ground in front of you with your body, not catch the pitch in the dirt. Your shoulders and upper body will generally be at the same angle as they were when you are in your stance. Shoulders forward will minimize chasing down a blocked pitch with runners in scoring position.

FEET OUT AND IN... NOT STRAIGHT BACK
This is top secret stuff. When I give a lesson in a crowded facility, I whisper this tidbit to my catchers. I don't want others to know this secret. But here it is. We use tracers at the feet to watch the direction of travel. Feet that go straight back require the catcher to get their rear out of the way and toes to clear the ground. This means they have to push up slightly to make room for their feet to fold up under them. Going up is bad when blocking! (Very bad!) Catchers that kick their feet out to the side then tuck them in can drop straight down. Getting to the ball faster with fewer pitches getting past them. (If any!)

We have lots more great tips and secrets for our catchers and the drills to reinforce proper techniques behind the plate to be safe and effective!

Dec 9, 2011
Chaz to me she looks as if she is going up before she goes down even with her feet going out. But now it may be something your working on with her.

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
Chaz to me she looks as if she is going up before she goes down even with her feet going out.

JM, We put a purple tracer on the right shoulder along with a yellow reference line at the shoulders to check upward movement. You will see a slight hook in the tracer as the shoulders rise slightly and roll forward. What you see here is totally acceptable. (The gloves and hands go straight to the ground) Where the shoulders rising becomes an issue is when the catcher jumps up and the glove and hands move away from the ground. The tracers and reference lines are used as visual cues for our catchers to realize when they jumping up.

Dec 9, 2011
chaz.... I see what your saying.. I also want to thank you for your work and info on here. You and NECC are a great. Can't say enough good things about you and NECC.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01