Big Mouth First Base Cioach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 19, 2013
So how common is it for the first base coach on the opposing team to yell at your players and try to get them to make the wrong play? This was a 12U open tournament where it was happening.

He was yelling at our pitchers who fielded the ball to throw it to the wrong base, at least 3 times trying to get his players onto first. He was also yelling at our players trying to make plays in foul territory basically telling them to miss the ball or let it go - something to that effect.

I had never seen it in baseball or my shorter time in softball. Although we have only been in TB a few years.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
It is not common and certainly should not be tolerated. Umpire should have controlled this behavior with a warning followed by an immediate ejection if it happened again.

May 14, 2010
Just because it's TB doesn't mean there aren't losers involved. Since you've only been around a few years, you are still evidently surprised when you run into this type of sub-human life form. My best advice- Run Rule them.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
what riseball said, ump should have noticed it and acted, if not then he should have been notified. If he didn't take action when notified then the TD should be made aware of this behavior. It will only change if there are repercussions to the action so it needs to be reported.

Jun 11, 2013
I have never heard a coach at 10,12 or 14 do that. There is an occasional fan that does it and I have heard a couple of teams do it from the dugout. Agree with post above to run rule them. Also maybe late in game might want a dropped third strike and have C throw down to first. You never know when a throw might get away from a 12U catcher.

coachjwb

Love this game!
Apr 16, 2014
Northeast Ohio
Very sad. Some "adults" either forget they are at a youth game instead of a professional one, or worse yet don't realize there's a difference. When it's a coach, then it's really bad. I would make sure the head coach of that team knows what the assistant is doing, and that it reflects very poorly on their team and organization.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2011
Had coaches on other team do this in an 8u tournament against us this past weekend. I told my parents they were either jerks or stupid.... and I hoped it was the later.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Pity that tarring, feathering and being run out of town on a rail is no longer politically correct. I suspect there would be fewer instances of this type of behavior.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC