Best way to start back pitching after a 2 year break.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 8, 2009
My dd has been asked to pitch for her Jv team but has not pitched in nearly 2 years. The reason she stopped was that she had lost interest because she was getting zero mound time on a former team so she started catching and was the #1 catcher in very little time. When she stopped pitching she was 12u, she was not a fireballer but had good control and hit her spots, now she is 14u and is very excited about pitching again. What is the best way for her to step back to the mound and get her back in the saddle.
Thanks 1999coach

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I's say, let her go. Have her warm up good. Do any drills she enjoyed and then let her pitch to a catcher. See what you have to work with before you come up with a plan to get her back going. A friend of mine always used to say, the only way to figure out on a map where you are going, is to identify where you are first.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I am assuming she has some time to get going again so take it slow. If she is excited about it would be easy to overdo it. Keep track of her # of pitches and slowly build up week to week.

Good luck, I am sure she will do great!

Oct 22, 2009
1999, My DD is a high school coach and she came into the team 3yrs ago with no pitchers. There was one girl on the team that had pitched in 12u. She got the call up even though she didn't want it.
Lot of "Be a team player" conversations to get her back into it.

What my DD did, after she got back to throwing regularly was to work on some mechanical issues, then set small goals for game times. Walks, strike-outs, a certain number of change-ups.
Then she began to add pitches, and added them to the goals as well. Little celebrations for these goals.

She did eventually "tolerate" pitching, my DD sent me a few fist pump pictures she gave after a strike-out in a close inning from time to time.
She was a freshman when she started up again, and this year she will be a junior and is doing well for not being a "pitcher". She plays travel ball but does not pitch.

Dec 8, 2009
That's what I was thinking, ease her back to pitching. She does have time to get back into the swing of things, all be it only a couple of months though. The only problem is for now I'll have to catch her and with 2 years off I may be playing more dodge ball than catching and not be able to see what she needs to correct. I may just have to get DW to video her.
Thanks, 1999coach

Mar 25, 2011
I would look at where she left off mechanically, and begin the correction on the first pitch out of the gate. Essentially, she is green again, with a 2 year hiatus. It could be an extremely exciting time, if she is so inclined.

Dec 11, 2010
Screwball- I am in the same situation with the first poster. It sounds like you might have some experience with this situation! For whatever it's worth I think your plan is dead on and one of the things I am learning at the Softball School Of Hard Knocks is that nagging every little thing I see wrong with my 2 DD's is among the worst things I can and have done.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
My DD hadn't pitched since she was 11 and was asked to pitch for her HS Varsity team this past fall as a freshman. We took her to a pitching coach over the summer to ensure she was mechanically sound. She isn't overpowering, but was able to get it near the plate. By the end of the season she could throw a change up fairly reliably. She could also throw a screwball. Her pitching coach is working on a rise ball for next season. She pitched in about a 1/3 of the games, which was more than anticipated and warmed up most games. She's a middle infielder normally and only expected to pitch in tourneys or when the starter got in trouble. One thing we didn't expect - she has an inflamed rotator cuff in her non-throwing shoulder. I guess she uses the right arm enough as a position player to not overstress it, but her left shoulder got more of a workout than we expected. Pitching everyday is something your DD will have to work up to.

Dec 8, 2009
I took DD to pitch yesterday, she didn't do to bad for not pitching in nearly 2 years. I would guess she was low to mid 40's on speed, accuraccy wasn't to bad, had a some that were really wild at first. A couple of things that she will need to correct are when she finishes her pitch she is not bringing her drive foot around and is leaning way forward,to give a mentai picture, she looks almost like a bowler on release. All I let her pitch was fastballs, we'll work on movement pitches when she gets back into shape, she is excited about pitching again so I'll be back on the bucket every evening. Any ideas or tips will be appreciated.
Thanks, 1999coach

Oct 22, 2009
Have her pitch up close to the fence so she can work on staying back and not leaning forward.