Best way to break in catchers mitt

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2015
is this your mitt or your DDs? if DDs, do NOT put your hand into, want the finger stalls to adapt to her fingers (presuming as a parent yours are larger).

work in some light conditioner. work the break in the heel by flexing it some (good way to pass the time at practices, etc.) back and forth. the biggest impeditment breaking I have found is the heel, as for mitts it is thicker than for gloves for protection. I even turned DDS "inside out" a time or two. beewswax or similar also possibly on inside, have her put on an old fabric glove with the protectant on it, work it around, then use another glove to remove excess. helps to lock out sweat, the salt are no good for the leather.

I have also used the blunt end of a small dumbbell to work/shape the pocket some, I guess those fancy ball shaped mallets would work as well, I have never found the need to buy them.

most of all, have her use it a lot (see if DD can catch lessons for some of her pitchers, warmups, practice as much as possible). note, have DD advise coach she is breaking in new mitt, otherwise it might seem your DD can no longer squeeze a ball. I know DDs CMW3000 was a tank that took some diligent breaking in for her to really be able to squeeze the ball, especially on slower pitches / throws (the rockets will almost close it themselves as it finds the pocket). but it has served her well, 4+ years on it, only work done since breaking in is to clean it and reapply conditioner at the end of each season, and have tightened laces a couple of times.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
is this your mitt or your DDs? if DDs, do NOT put your hand into, want the finger stalls to adapt to her fingers (presuming as a parent yours are larger).
Lots of this right here!!

I personally wouldn't use any product (conditioner) on it yet, break it in dry, but that's just my way of doing it. Mizuno gloves are already infused with plenty enough oil in them.

Nov 18, 2015
[ETA - when I started this reply, there weren’t any replies yet.]

What kind of mitt?

For all kinds, the obvious answer is “use it” (I’m sure you knew that - just had to mention. DFP requirement. :) )

The rest depends on the level of the glove. I don’t want to say “cheap vs expensive”, but for gloves, there usually is a pretty high correlation b/w price and quality. (But also doesn’t mean a beginner glove should be avoided).

For all gloves, I’d start with a light coating of glove conditioner (not oil) on the outside, and obenaufs (beeswax mixture) in the hand stall to protect it against sweat/salt.

Beginner glove (Mizuno Prospect, etc), it really doesn’t need much more than one or two sessions of catch.

Intermediate level - All-Star CMW-1010, Under Armor Framer, etc. - that’s when I’d start using a ball mallet to help develop the pocket and determine where the glove will hinge.

Upper level - ball mallet, lots of patience, and completion of the “How to get forearms like Aso” 30-day workout before starting. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk I

May 16, 2016
Give it a good coat of Mizuno Strong Oil conditioner. And wrap it in an elastic band with a ball in the pocket. You may need to work the crease the first couple of times you wrap it, so it folds where you want it. After that, If you are not throwing with it, it's wrapped in the band with a ball in pocket. Certainly if you want to work on it with a mallet, that will speed up the process.

May 6, 2015
[ETA - when I started this reply, there weren’t any replies yet.]
Beginner glove (Mizuno Prospect, etc), it really doesn’t need much more than one or two sessions of catch.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk I
DDs first mitt was a Mizuon prospect, it basically was ready out of the box, especially with the V notch or whatever they call it. only issue was at least then it really was not large enough for 12 in ch ball.

Nov 18, 2015
DDs first mitt was a Mizuon prospect, it basically was ready out of the box, especially with the V notch or whatever they call it. only issue was at least then it really was not large enough for 12 in ch ball.

I’m finding that to be the case with my daughters All-Star. Their entry level option (I think it’s the CMW-1010) is great for an 11”, but doesn’t really seem made for a 12”. Time for me to contact Drakemir about a Vinci.

And at 34.5”, the OP’s Classic will not be having that problem!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles