best mouth guard

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 5, 2009
Hi all,

Are there any mouth guards out there worth a darn that aren't from a dentist?

Sep 11, 2009
Mesa Arizona
One that is not too big to restrict breathing. They do have one that allows the breathing to occur through a hole in the mouthguard. Our local dentist fitted my dd for free. Check yours to see if they are offering that, tell them what it is for and your looking to save her teath.

Jan 24, 2009
"Are there any mouth guards out there worth a darn..."

>>> 130 looks and one response, so here goes:

There is a great mouth guard on the market. Not only does it protect the relatively inexpensive braces on the teeth, but it also decreases incidence of more expensive injuries like LeFort fractures and blow-out fractures. This mouth guard is called the 'Gameface.' It is commonly available for $35-$39, or less than the dental office visit to even inquire about a mouthpiece.

Price one OR entrance fee, a visit with the OMF surgeon or a neurosurg consult and that $35 insurance policy seems almost like a freebie... even if you supply the whole team with this device.

You'll get different opinions, but here is mine: this is a pitching forum so your DD shouldn't need a mouthpiece because her face guard will also protect the mouth. Straight teeth look better on an intact face, JMHO.
VW

May 7, 2008
I agree with vdubya - if you're talking about young pitchers, a facemask is the way to go. In addition to looking at the Gameface, I'm aware of masks from RipIt and Bangerz that are worthy competitors. Our girls switched to the Bangerz because the fit is more adjustable and they just seemed more comfortable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad