Best Drills

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 26, 2010
Crazyville IL
My daughter has some problems with her lower half quite a bit.

You'd think with 5 years of dance before getting into softball she'd be able to move her hips but no.

Hip twists are a staple of every practice for her with her PC or me.

Stand in a power T with the toes just touching the power line to get into the proper position to intiate the drill.

Pivot on the balls of the feet to point the toes of both feet at the plate and shift weight to the back leg about 75%.
Execute a windmill with the pitching arm and release the ball.
The focus of the drill is on the hip movement and developing the timing of the hips opening and closing in time with the pitch.

I try to get 10 - 20 of these out of her for each pitch as part of warm ups for each practice.

The other good one for her is storks or leg drives.

Pretty much throw your pitches from one leg. Stride leg pulled up off the rubber balanced on one foot, then throw a full pitch focusing on leg drive. I usually throw these in at the end of practice. When mine gets tired the leg drive is the first thing to go, throwing off her timing for hips and arm speed. She ends up throwing around her hip going wide to the right of her spot and her release point goes to hell in a hand basket.

Have her do 10 - 20 of these besides being a good work out for developing leg strength I get to point out that getting back to a strong leg drive has put her back on her spots and her speed is back up where it should be.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad