Best bat for pitching machine work

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
In addition to the conversation would be how are the bats treated when they are not in use,
left in the car to extreme cold and heat.

How about bats that are on the bottom of a bat bag when it's dropped on the cement.

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
Thought it was that they are heavier. (They aren’t.)

Then it was the velocity. (In the videos I posted the machine is close and looks to be 25 mph on the eye radar)

Now they don’t compress the same? With my two thumbs I can indent a dimple ball pretty far (especially the Atec Super Soft) but I can’t do that with a regulation softball. They sound and feel mushy when you hit them. But they do more damage to bats? Despite the fact that anyone who has seen stitch balls misused out of a Hack will tell you NOTHING breaks more bats.

Then, it was because you hit more balls if you use a machine. OK. So what are we doing here? Hitting less balls of front toss to save our bats?

There are a lot of urban legends in softball. Parents, especially parents of young players, repeat what they heard someone else say and have no idea if it’s true or not. That person heard it from someone else. Who heard it from someone else. When you believe in things that you don’t understand you will suffer. It’s a superstition not a fact.

When I think back to when DD’s were very young, the players who are still playing in college are the ones who hit a ton. Including machine. Maybe even ESPECIALLY machine.

Those kids who aren’t playing anymore break 100% less bats on average. That’s not really what we were after.
high velocity / more dense=bad...also, many are heavier than a standard baseball or softball.

Won't use em on any composite, go for it if you want.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
Won't use em on any composite, go for it if you want.
Have done exactly that since about 2011. Dd#2 will continue to do that in college for two more seasons as long as she stays healthy.

Still trying to get you to defend your position.

You still aren’t, you just keep repeating backstop gossip passed down from parent to parent.

The nice thing about DFP is it’s a discussion, not Facebook style “drive by” comments and responses.

I‘ll move on now.

Jun 8, 2016
Still trying to get you to defend your position.

The nice thing about DFP is it’s a discussion, not Facebook style “drive by” comments and responses.
TBH Billy is helping me out. From now on when I am arguing with my DW I am just going to say "I am right" over and over again and hopefully she will eventually agree with me.

I am pretty sure if you check the specs of new dimple balls they will not be any heavier then regular softballs and have similar COR and compression numbers. Now it may be true that old/improperly stored dimple balls could cause issues so if you are going to a public batting cage where the balls are older than your DD you probably shouldn't use your 400 dollar bat..

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
TBH Billy is helping me out. From now on when I am arguing with my DW I am just going to say "I am right" over and over again and hopefully she will eventually agree with me.

I am pretty sure if you check the specs of new dimple balls they will not be any heavier then regular softballs and have similar COR and compression numbers. Now it may be true that old/improperly stored dimple balls could cause issues so if you are going to a public batting cage where the balls are older than your DD you probably shouldn't use your 400 dollar bat..
I gave my statement on why not to use them, and kept getting rebound follow ups. I don't know what else to say. He can use them all he wants, I'm not the practice police.

Jun 8, 2016
I gave my opinion and kept getting rebound follow ups. I don't know what else to say.
What information was your opinion based upon? That was the question (and hence the FB reference where people just spew without backing up their statements...). Or were you just born with it.. ;)

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
What information was your opinion based upon? That was the question. Or were you just born with it.. ;)
Personal experience with them playing baseball and using them over 25+ years across both sports, and that they are indeed more dense than regulation softballs and baseballs. We cooked more bats with them than regulation or cheap practice balls. We went away from them years ago.

Jun 8, 2016
Personal experience with them playing baseball and using them over 25+ years across both sports, and that they are indeed more dense than regulation softballs and baseballs. We cooked more bats with them than regulation or cheap practice balls. We went away from them years ago.
I use to hit them (baseballs) a lot when I was a kid but that was with aluminum bats that wouldn't break if you hit 5 lb rocks..Would you say that you were using good condition dimples or was a lot of your hitting in facilities where you had no idea how the balls were taken care of?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma