Being the best you can be

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2010
New England
What are your tips and ideas on being the best player you can be? I would say right now I'm a very solid TB player (good batting average, very few fielding errors, etc) but what can I do to be a standout TB player? I want to get noticed and the big dream is to get out of lovely snowy New England to go play softball all year round during college somewhere in Cal or Florida.

Thanks for the help!

(By the way I'm a class of 2014 grad so I do have time to improve before college, sometimes it feels like things come so fast!)

Jul 26, 2010
Hit for power to the opposite field consistently. College ball in the US seems to be far more focused on power hitting then anything else, often to the detriment of a solid defense. I'd focus on hitting and the coaches will find a place for you on their team.

-W

Oct 25, 2009
What are your tips and ideas on being the best player you can be? I would say right now I'm a very solid TB player (good batting average, very few fielding errors, etc) but what can I do to be a standout TB player? I want to get noticed and the big dream is to get out of lovely snowy New England to go play softball all year round during college somewhere in Cal or Florida.

Thanks for the help!

(By the way I'm a class of 2014 grad so I do have time to improve before college, sometimes it feels like things come so fast!)

Sounds like you are satisfied with yourself as a player. You have to change that if you want to be the best you can be. For you, a good batting average shouldn't be good enough; you have to want the best batting average. Very few fielding errors is not you, either; there must be no errors.

Assuming that your batting fundamentals are correct, you must hit 100-200 balls at least 5 days per week, year round. At least half as much time as you spend working on hitting should be spent on fielding.

Also, go the Hitting Technical forum and look at this year's Model Swings, Florida, Arizona State, etc. If your swing is unlike their swings you need to post your swing on that forum and get some critique.

If you are the only one you know that will do all of that you will be the best.

Aug 20, 2009
Bristol pa
Softballninja you are going to need to step up your game in every category in order to fulfill your dream. Before start on this athletic quest though, you must first get your school work in order. Not only must you push yourself athletically, but academically. Colleges are looking for well rounded individuals. Your grade point average and your attendance must be outstanding. Some of the money that you spend on hitting or fielding lessons should be applied to private SAT preparation classes. By adding just a few points to that SAT score, your chance of attending the college of your dreams increases.
Because you will be an out of state student, be prepared to pay a higher tuition. Start thinking of ways that you can earn a few extra dollars by incorporating your love of softball into it. For example, start catching a pitcher at private lessons. You’d be surprised how many Dads would pay to have someone catch for them. This will also make you a better hitter and fielder in the process. Many indoor hitting facilities are always looking for help. This is a good way to be at a place that you could improve your game.
Aside from training all year to fulfill your dream, you are going to push yourself athletically. Do you play another sport? Colleges coaches like an athlete who plays more than 1 sport. Running winter track will make you a faster runner. Volleyball will improve your hitting and throwing motions because of its emphasis on the core muscle group. If you really want to push yourself in terms of softball, play up an age group. If you currently play 16-U, move up to 18-U. Seek out the best team in your area and try out for them. Make sure this team plays in college showcases. Never get discouraged and always know that you can do better. Setting a goal is a wonderful thing. Two old wrestling sayings apply to your situation: outwork your opponent everyday and hard work will always pay off. Good Luck.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
Here is my checklist to help you:

1. Make sure your GPA is 3.2 or above
2. Create a list of schools you would like to attend (20-30)
3. Find a travel team that enters showcase events in the areas you are looking. (Rising Stars, ESPN Sun Classic, etc...)
4. Contact the schools you are interested in
5. Make sure your GPA is 3.2 or above
6. Sign up for a camp or two at schools you are looking at
7. Play great when given the opportunity
8. Never give up

Much of your dream is in your own hands. There are plenty of schools here in Florida that are D1, D2, D3, JUCO, etc.. I am sure you can find a great team to play for. Good luck and keep us informed.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
College coaches are paid to win. If they don't win, they get fired. (Ask Jay Miller, former coach at Mississippi State). If the coach doesn't think you can help the team win, you will not be on the team. Therefore, coaches in college are primarily concerned with your softball skills. The stuff about wanting team players and academics is just a myth. (Obviously, you must have a high enough SAT or ACT score to be eligible for playing softball.)

The first thing you *MUST* do is find a team that plays games in the southeast (Alabama, Florida, Georgia) and preferably against the west coast teams (California, Arizona). This will require substantial traveling. The teams from those areas are light years ahead of teams from your area. California teams play a brand of softball that is vastly superior to the rest of the country. Most likely, the first time you play them, they will hand your rear-end to you in a basket. Take the shellacking you will get and use it as a learning experience.

You need to spend a lot of time hitting...and especially learning how to hit breaking pitches. You need to learn how breaking pitches are thrown and when they are thrown in a game.

Assuming that your batting fundamentals are correct, you must hit 100-200 balls at least 5 days per week, year round.

I agree...if you are already doing this, then double what you are doing.

The goal is perfection.

Also,

RUN...RUN...RUN. My guess is 5 to 7 miles per day, 4 days a week.

Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
It is refreshing to hear from someone at a young age have long term goals. But make and work on short term goals also. The sum of your goals should help you make your long term goal. Break it down to maybe year, month, week, day, even hour. Make the goals obtainable and work to obtain them. If you make impossible goals, you feel defeated. If your goal is to make 98 on a math test and you made 85 on your last one, that goal may be too high. Make the goal a 92 and go from there. If you want to make 300 batting dry swings a day and you normally only do 150, set your goal to 175 and go from there. Write down your main goals and read them everyday. This helps you to reinforce your goals and stay focused. As you grow older your interest may change so don't be afraid to change your goals.

Be a good teammate, person. Encourage others on and off the field - softball, school, social life, etc. Help them to succeed. If they make a good play, cheer for them and let them know it. If they make a mistake, tell them to forget about it and prepare for the next play. If they make a bad grade, encourage them and maybe even help them make a better grade next time. If a boy friend cheats on them, tell them to dump him and find another.:D

The mental part of the game is probably the most important and hardest to develop. If you have worked hard on your game and prepared yourself well, it is what happens between the ears that makes things work. Once you step onto the playing field, stay focused on the game, not what happened yesterday, any problems you maybe having or even the fans in the stands. If you strike out, tip your hat to the pitcher, and go back to the dugout and analyze what happened. Were you ready to hit? Did you swing at bad pitches? Did you guess fastball and the pitcher threw a change-up? Did the pitcher throw to your weak area? Don't get frustrated, analyze and prepare for the next time at bat. This applies to all aspects of the game.

I know these ideas don't help you directly with your goal, but they are more underlying thoughts that help you develop the necessary skills on and off the field to help you reach your goal(s). Hopefully they will make you a better player and person.

Above all else, have fun. Sometimes fun is hard work!

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2010
New England
Thanks everyone, it sure looks like I have A LOT to do (which I knew was the case). I just wish that geography wouldn't screw me like it certainly has in this situation :)

May 9, 2008
Don't use geography as an excuse. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Find the best team in your area with the best coach who is willing to guide that team to the major college recruiting tournaments. Colorado just held 3 of the best here this past week, The Sparkler, The Independence, and The Fireworks. If you want to play where the sun shines you will have to dedicate yourself to that pursuit and accept nothing short of the best from yourself.

Use everyday to improve yourself.

Pops

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Just my opinion, but 3.2 isn't nearly high enough to get into the major softball programs. Also, push yourself in all of the AP classes that you can sign up for in HS.

AND, don't goof up and make the news for crimes that teens sometimes get caught up in. If your buddies are going out to cause problems, say "Sorry, I am out of here."

Do not use Facebook and Twitter, etc. to run down your coach, your parents, your boss, say that you cheat on tests, smacked a rival in the face, drank your father's booze, etc. Remember that coaches will Google your name on the Internet. Try it and see what comes up. Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi