Before the Brush

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
It will be a Gamechanger....heck a Life Changer...(the ride home) If you read after him, you know he can get the job done. But with 13yr.old girl, that means nothing to her. I was worried that I had blown it because she knows I think so much of him. Sometimes I think she just rebels' against stuff just because I like it... I handed her over to him, and stayed clear out of the way... (first time ever) Of course he did the magic....Remarkable immediate RESULTS!!! But I knew that doesn't matter to her. He worked her hard 3.5 hrs straight...

I'm just waiting for us to get back in the van, I'm figuring she is going to be tired, so I won't ask the only question I came all the way to hear. You see I know DD is going to great...I know of probably 10 other DFP members that could help her too.... but

So I couldn't wait... I said... "Well do you like him" ... She gave me that (are you stupid) look and said Yeeha!!! We had our best talk ever for about an hour, the she slept all the way home...She has changed too... not the so much the technique, but she is so much easier to work with... for me.

I had her try to stand both feet over the front of the rubber, just some of my foolish..."Stupid Camera Tricks" for the Wrong leggednessless thread... she threw one pitch, then stopped and asked... "Does Java Approve of this"... I said No, but he can fix it... She smiled, and Did it without fear....

That last line "Did it without fear" my dd is scared of changing anything. It's really hurting her. I know that feeling tho! The one where they are working with you like they are somebody else's well mannered kid. We saw Riseball a while back and for a little bit my dd realized that I'm not just talking out my butt, that maybe I do know a little bit.

Drive mechanics though
1. It's harder to teach. 2. It's harder to see if they are doing it right 3. It's harder for them to do physically, so much more can go wrong. 4. I'm scared to say the wrong thing, positive or negative because every thing is a chain reaction to the next. I've been trying to get her to just do the damn drills to get better but she's not doing them. So my plan is to add them to the pitchers warm up (or entire team warm up for HS ball) I'm working on that plan right now, working on having a different coach introduce it to them, the speed and agility coach because he's much louder then I am, I'm kinda like "do it or don't your only hurting yourself" he more "your gonna do this and do it right"

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I think it gets easier to see and teach. Although it seems like a rigid sequence, it really does flow and the timing tends to take care of itself once they get the jist of it.

I'd be a careful about mandating anything other than tactics unless you have the green light from the pitcher/family. Some folks pay for instruction and right or wrong, trust their PC.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Again, I'm slow to the starting line...

When I say it should feel rushed... that applies to those that struggle with frontside timing... and are trying out the pushbacks. Not all do. Good timing will eventually feel right.... it's just a matter of getting the body moving forward before the arms move backward.

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
I think it gets easier to see and teach. Although it seems like a rigid sequence, it really does flow and the timing tends to take care of itself once they get the jist of it.

I'd be a careful about mandating anything other than tactics unless you have the green light from the pitcher/family. Some folks pay for instruction and right or wrong, trust their PC.

I usually error on the side of caution with drills for that reason. I will pick ones that don't seem to be pitching specific (those r the ones I'm struggling to get dd to do) the jump back, the falling lean, mikes face plant drill, etc these all can be for running bases as well so I don't foresee any push back ....hopefully

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
That last line "Did it without fear" my dd is scared of changing anything. It's really hurting her. I know that feeling tho! The one where they are working with you like they are somebody else's well mannered kid. We saw Riseball a while back and for a little bit my dd realized that I'm not just talking out my butt, that maybe I do know a little bit.

Yea... fearless because she knows we got it. DD & I has been @ this long time... Are goals are to have it down pat Jan.31 2017.

She had a wicked Screw & Rise & Drop.... & now a wicked CU, he taught her in about 5 min or less....Still going to need them for 2016 season. We see it as working on her fastball. :cool:

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I usually error on the side of caution with drills for that reason. I will pick ones that don't seem to be pitching specific (those r the ones I'm struggling to get dd to do) the jump back, the falling lean, mikes face plant drill, etc these all can be for running bases as well so I don't foresee any push back ....hopefully

That's what I'm talking about... it used to be such a struggle....Now she is not caught up in little stuff, she is more worried about beating JF 60 wins Reord... :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00