Batting out of order vs. unreported substitute

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Violations of the DP/FLEX rule are much more severe than batting out of order.

If the FLEX bats for any player other than the DP, that is considered an illegal substitution and could result in the FLEX player being disqualified for the remainder of the game.

Like Comp said.....the umpire should have caught the problem with the lineup and not accepted it until it was right....

May 24, 2013
So Cal
If a team can't keep there batting order straight I have no problem taking an out, but I'm not a fan of getting one because it's an inexperienced coach who is learning the
whole DP/Flex thing.

I know this coach. He's been at it a while, and should be clear on how DP/Flex works at this point. At the end of the day, it didn't change the result of the game...and he won't make that mistake again. ;)

Mar 26, 2013
Player listed as DP stepped into the batter's box after Flex's at-bat.
Irrelevant to the call on Flex's at bat - doesn't matter who stepped in next.

BTW, technically speaking on BOO calls, the player that was supposed to bat is called out (the improper batter's time at bat is negated).

We played a pool game where opposing team batted 11 the first time through but skipped #11 the second time through and went to the lead off. No one caught it at the time.

What would have happened if we had said something during the at bat?

Jun 22, 2008
If you appeal it while the incorrect batter is still at bat, the correct batter is brought to bat and assumes the count. In order for it to be an out, you have to wait until the at bat is completed and lodge the appeal prior to another pitch being thrown.

Jun 11, 2013
I would say in all the games I've been AC or HC for when I've brought the lineup cards to the plate (maybe 25 percent of our games) I can't remember a single
time when the PU didn't ask the question to confirm how many we were batting and/or question us about the Flex if we used it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad