Batting Order

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 7, 2012
PA
What would your lineup be with these players? Need a fresh opinion.

A. Righty, has decent speed (5th fastest on team) .750 batting average. 46 plate apperances, 4-2b, 1-3b, 1-HR 6-BB, 0-K

B. Lefty, fasted by far on the team, batting average .510 - 29 plate appearances, 1-2b, 1-3b, 3-K, 3BB

C. Right .636, (2nd or 3rd fastest on team) just came back from an injury .. with 24 plate apperances 3-2b, 2-3b, 5-K's & 2-BB

D. Lefty (lower end speed wise), .613 batting average. 38 plate appearances, 5-BB, 0-K's all outs were ground ball outs

E. Righty (slowest on team), .543 batting average. 38 plate appearances, 3-2b, 2-3b, 1-HR, 3-K's, 2 BB (bat seems to be coming alive of lately).

F. Righty (2nd or 3rd fastest) .394. 38 plate appearnaces, 2-2b, 1-HR, 3-K's, 4-BB has a new hitting coach and her average has been quickly dropping (from what I she isn't generating enough bat speed)

G. Righty, (decent speed). .481 batting average. 33 plate appearances, 1-2b, 1-3b, 8-k's, 4-B(strikes out almost once a game)

H. Righty (decent Speed) .200 batting average, 25 plate appearances, 3-1b, 9-BB 3-k's (goes deep into counts).

I. Righty (slow runner) .345 batting average, 43 plate appearances 1-3b, 10-BB (leads team)goes deep into counts

J. Righty (slow runner) .406 batting average(she is going to new hitting coach with f & average has been going down) 38 plate appearances, 1-3b, 5-k's, 5-bb

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
B – Wish she walked a little more.
C -- Probably your 2nd-best hitter.
A – Probably your best hitter.
E – Sounds like a slugger.
D – No power, so probably not typical #5 hitter, but at this point, I’d be ranking them largely on on-base percentage
G
F
J
I
H

Oct 25, 2009
Jan 25, 2011
With those batting averages,I dont think you have anything to worry about,the girl with the .200 average just have her crowd the plate and hope she gets hit.What age group are you talking about and rec. or TB?

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I wonder what 7-inning games do that anlysis?

It would depend on what it does to the distribution of PAs for the 4/5 slot relative to 1/2/3. If the deeper lineup (bat 10 or bat roster) will reduce the number of PAs for spot 4 and or 5 significantly over time, you'd probably rethink it to move 4th and 5th best hitters from 2/4 in that analysis to 4/5 to maximimze the number of PAs fom your 3 best hitters.

And Steve, I think I was the one who first linked that here on DFP. Though I had no original input into it other than linking it here. Credir belongs to the sabemetitians who developed it in the article. Though I've always enjoyed how they broke it down from a statistical standpoint of maximizing runs scored.

Feb 3, 2011
The only question I could see is D and E. Who should bat where. I think it looks very viable and natural standard choices. Here is an interesting article that opened my eyes.

Optimizing Your Lineup By The Book - Beyond the Box Score

I am not the first to post this link shown above, so who ever did should get the credit for enlightening us. I just copied it.
My top 5 is the exact same as CoogansBluff.

I strongly disagree with your link's opinion on the importance of the #3 hitter. That's a critical spot in my lineup, so that's a batter the team can rely on to get the job done.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan