Batting Line-Up

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 19, 2008
When setting up a batting line-up, do you adjust based on who's performing/getting results from game to game, or maybe tournament to tournament (4-6 GG)?

I know that you want to build confidence, or not take away confidence from someone who is in a slump, but I'm talking 16U.

These girls don't want to be treating like kids anymore. They have verbally said that. 9 of the 11 girls have said if they are gonna play at this age, no more "just have fun" ball.

Time to get serious.

Feb 15, 2011
FL
I have never liked the game to game switch as there are too many variables that could have occurred. Maybe the last pitcher had a wicked curve ball that she could not hit. Look at the overall performance, to include RBI's, OBP and Runs scored. Don't worry about a one game slump, but maybe after two games a slight shift would be in order. My dd keeps getting put at the lead off, where she just does not seem as comfortable.

Feb 3, 2011
In my opinion, there's no need for every position to be set in stone. When a player gets into the box, she knows her job is to do whatever the coach asks in order to help her team.

Our usual leadoff hitter was out for the weekend, so I moved #2 up to that spot. She did extremely well on Saturday, but asked to be moved out of that spot for Sunday, saying she didn't like it. She had enjoyed being leadoff last spring and did well there, and then really thrived when I changed our offense and moved her to #6, but I still considered her our best option there with our regular #1 out.

Nevertheless, I granted her request and on a hunch moved #8 to #1 for Sunday. #8 had her best day yet, failing to reach safely only twice in 8 plate appearances. Given a chance to succeed, she went out and did exactly that. Things won't always work out that well, but there's nothing wrong with shaking things up for whatever reasons you wish, Coach.

Oct 25, 2009
In my opinion, there's no need for every position to be set in stone. When a player gets into the box, she knows her job is to do whatever the coach asks in order to help her team.

Our usual leadoff hitter was out for the weekend, so I moved #2 up to that spot. She did extremely well on Saturday, but asked to be moved out of that spot for Sunday, saying she didn't like it. She had enjoyed being leadoff last spring and did well there, and then really thrived when I changed our offense and moved her to #6, but I still considered her our best option there with our regular #1 out.

Nevertheless, I granted her request and on a hunch moved #8 to #1 for Sunday. #8 had her best day yet, failing to reach safely only twice in 8 plate appearances. Given a chance to succeed, she went out and did exactly that. Things won't always work out that well, but there's nothing wrong with shaking things up for whatever reasons you wish, Coach.

Some kids really like to lead off; others don't do well there at all.

Nov 1, 2009
We look for a certain set up throughout the order. Once we have established our line up we do very little changing. If we have a girl in an extended slump or coming off injury we adjust accordingly. We have found over the years that making the kids comfortable and them knowing their role helps with continuity.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA