Batting Helmets Lifespan

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2013
The league Helmets have been refurbished a couple times, padding inside replaced and outside cleaned up.

Does anyone know if there is a suggested life for a batting helmet or can they just be refurbished as needed forever?

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
The padding or changing of teams was always the reason DD got a new helmet. I don't think they are like motorcycle helmets where you hit it and have to replace it. Unless it's left outside in the elements for a long period of time I doubt it would degrade enough to warrant being replaced. We have even painted one of DDs a couple of times because it fit so well and she didn't want to change it.

Jan 22, 2013
So Cal
DD just got a new helmet from a new team that doesn't fit. I remember looking inside and thinking that it says 2 yrs. Also, there is a sticker from the manufacturer for the production date.

I'd assume the liability of using a helmet past some date isn't worth the consequences. Personally the likely hood is probably so slim of a girl getting hurt, but you never know. Only takes once.

Aug 6, 2013
I hate to say it, because I know how tight Rec League budgets are, But...
Helmets are labeled to be replace every two years –
I agree it's probably a liability thing (and a way for the manufactures to sell more helmets) but all it would take is one concussion and someone would own the league. The minute the lawyer finds out the Helmets are beyond date - it would be over.
Especially after you have asked.

Jun 24, 2013
I am asking for my father who just got put in charge of a good size cities LL program equipment.

I thought that same should apply to baseball and softball helmets, so I asked.

Thanks for your help.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
It is about 1000 helmets so it is not cheap to do either.

I would provide 2-3 batting helmets per team and tell parents they are welcome to buy their own batting helmets if they are not comfortable with their DD wearing the "team" helmets.

J

jimmy325

The minute the lawyer finds out the Helmets are beyond date - it would be over.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207