Helmet rules

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
Is a helmet like the pros use considered legal in any FP sanction? The one I’m referring to has a one sided face protector. It has no mask, just the check protector If so, I want one for my DD our new helmets, the mask opening is very narrow and this would be a good solution.6FB40AE4-3731-4272-8AC3-BA16B03D3A58.jpeg

Dec 11, 2010
Doubt it.

I‘m not a fan of how fastpitch helmet masks are designed.

They do not need to be as big, they do not need to be as heavy/thick material, and they DO NOT have to be designed with an opening SO SMALL THAT A BASEBALL WILL NOT FIT THROUGH IT.

Nov 29, 2009
They do not need to be as big, they do not need to be as heavy/thick material, and they DO NOT have to be designed with an opening SO SMALL THAT A BASEBALL WILL NOT FIT THROUGH IT.

Yes they do. The manufacturers know some clown will put a softball helmet/facemask combination on a kid playing baseball. If a baseball got through the opening and hurts the kid the clown would be looking for a large payout. Even if there were large warnings all over the helmet about not using it for baseball. With our legal system they have to design against stupidity.

Sep 13, 2020
Here's the USSSA rule re helmets. Note that both ears must be covered and a face mask used. Haven't looked at others but my DDs used to bat without a mask in LL Rec and never had an issue.

RULE 2. EQUIPMENT
BATTING HELMET
In the Youth program, NOCSAE approved batting helmets with extended ear flaps, which cover both ears and temples are mandatory for all batters, on deck batters, base runners, non-adult base coach, non-adult bat & ball shaggers in live ball territory, even if the ball is dead.
Batting helmets must have NOCSAE approved attached face mask/guard. A commercially manufactured face mask/guard may be attached to a batting helmet, provided it is attached by the manufacture; or a face mask/guard may be attached to a helmet that does not have a face mask, provided the attachment procedure is approved by the manufacture.
A chinstrap is optional.

Aug 25, 2019
Here's the USSSA rule re helmets. Note that both ears must be covered and a face mask used. Haven't looked at others but my DDs used to bat without a mask in LL Rec and never had an issue.

RULE 2. EQUIPMENT
BATTING HELMET
In the Youth program, NOCSAE approved batting helmets with extended ear flaps, which cover both ears and temples are mandatory for all batters, on deck batters, base runners, non-adult base coach, non-adult bat & ball shaggers in live ball territory, even if the ball is dead.
Batting helmets must have NOCSAE approved attached face mask/guard. A commercially manufactured face mask/guard may be attached to a batting helmet, provided it is attached by the manufacture; or a face mask/guard may be attached to a helmet that does not have a face mask, provided the attachment procedure is approved by the manufacture.
A chinstrap is optional.
Same for USA Rules

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Some FP facemasks are way over-engineered. Many of the helmets found at sports retailers are apparently designed to keep out the smaller softballs that little kids play with, but look like something out of Gladiator. However, you can find helmets made for older players that have much better visibility. Demarini makes a pretty good helmet/mask combo. Alternatively, many helmets will accept a different mask, even if it's a different brand. I think that there's only a few places that actually manufacture all the gear we see.

Dec 11, 2010
I'm unfamiliar... can you explain what you mean if it's not too much trouble.
Just saw this, sorry!

Just all the struggles parents coaches had understanding that the single stamp Ghost with gold letters could only be used in USSSA tournaments. If you had two types of helmet masks, someone would be using the wrong one and get in trouble.