Batter leaves game due to injury, is she now an out?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
ASA Rec league, U14B, 12 players in lineup, fielding 10 (league rule), continuous batting order.

Question 1) (1) player is hurt and can't continue, leaving 11 players, all of which are batting.
Is the correct action to score an out every time she would be up to bat because she left the batting order?

Question 2) Player (not P or C) gets to first base and is unable to run. can the batter who made the last out take her place on 1B due to her injury (didn't happen at that at bat, just got worse throughout the game)?

I knew if you had 8 players, you score an out every time the 9th batter would be up. but when you have every position filled does it still apply?

Jun 22, 2008
All of the rules you are playing under are league modified rules, not ASA. You would have to consult thier rules to see what if any action they take if an injury leave a player unable to bat. The local rec league I umpire uses a continuous batting order and if a player is unable to continue they make it an out the first time the player cant bat and then the order is just reduced by the one injured batter.

Jun 18, 2010
As comp said, you have to check your league rules. Under our modified tournament rules, we drop the batter and compress the lineup.

Injury:

Batter: If a batter cannot fulfill her time at bat due to injury or illness, that player will be eliminated from that entire game. Her spot will be skipped in the batting order. Teams will not be required to take an automatic out UNTIL they drop below 9 players.

Runner: If a runner cannot continue her time on the bases, that player will be substituted with the last batter not on base. She will not be allowed to participate in the remainder of the game. The line-up will compress when her spot comes to bat.

Mar 2, 2013
Should this come up where they are following ASA rules, if there is an open spot in the line-up due to any reason other than ejection, then an out is taken when that spot comes up in the batting order. If the reason the team dropped to 8 players is because of an ejection, the game is forfeited. As an aside, in almost all associations, the defense is legally permitted to employ tactics such as intentional or unintentional-intentional walks for the sake of getting to that open spot in the line-up.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Given the house rules you play under I'm guessing it is not an auto-out in your league. Most rec house leagues that require you bat the whole lineup allow you to just skip the injured player. Heck in our house rec league you can drop a player because they had to leave for a birthday party or some such thing with no penalty. Though as others have noted, under ASA rules the open spot would be an auto out.

Jul 28, 2008
A 1. We usually have a squash rule with continuous batting order during our spring tournaments. So that we just squash the batting order and continue on. In rec league, I can't imagine they would count it as an out, but check.

A 2. Not normally. However, at the plate meeting during our friendly tournaments we have been asked, as well as asked the opposing coach, if it's okay if we courtesy run for an injured position player. I have yet to have the opposing coach say no. I have also never said no. Umpires will also usually allow it if agreed upon by the coaches.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Thanks - The league director got back to me with a vehement NO- the injured player can be removed from the batting order with no penalty-like the squash rule noted above.

Oct 24, 2010
Thanks - The league director got back to me with a vehement NO- the injured player can be removed from the batting order with no penalty-like the squash rule noted above.

and if that brings the number of players below 9?

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
...then it's an out every time the 9th player would be up or it's a forfeit if you have less than 8 players- but these are my league's rules, I just posted the results FYI.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand