Bats, how big is too big?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I know its probably going to come down to a "it depends" or its a personal thing. But how big is too big, for years my dd swung a light bat. Last year (2011) she used a 32/20.5. In the late fall and early spring she was diagnosed with a couple of things (diabetes and celiac) which had kept weight off of her and created vitamin deficiencies. So she has gained 20+ pounds and this past year she was swinging a 33/24 bat in the summer, an end loaded synergy, and at school, spring, a 33/23 cf5 insane. She went from a singles hitter to a gap power type hitter.

So next year I anticipate her being even stronger as she will have had the extra weight during a full season of volleyball and a season of basketball. So how heavy, is heavy enough. I am looking at 34/24 cf5 insanes and I wonder if its a good jump to make on the length but keep the weight the same as the synergy she was swinging, or should we move even heavier? She is not a big girl 5'6" 128 lbs, but has had no problems hitting with the larger bats.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
Not an expert by any means, but I have heard HC say that it depends on how much of the mechanics they have down in the legs. If she's not using her legs powerfully enough, then stay with 33, but if she's got it down to a pat, then by all means try the 34.

Shrug...heard this said to 3 different people...DD included (she's 5'7" 130 lbs).

Jul 26, 2010
It depends is the answer, sorry, but there it is.

Take slow motion video of her swing with the various size/weight bats, see if there are any mechanical issues when she increases weight.

Use a bat speed radar to measure her swing speed. If it slows down by more then 2-3mph, then the bat is too heavy. It's easy to see when a kid is ready to move up, because they will generally swing the bigger bat just as fast as the lighter bat.

-W

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA