Bat Weight Differences

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 3, 2010
My 10 yr old uses an Easton Stealth 30/20(purple and white one). I have always thought it felt like a wooden fence post as compared to other bats that were longer and listed as an ounce or two more.

Yesterday she picked up another girls Easton Stealth 30/21(black and purple) and she said this bat feels so light. I took her -10 and campared it to the -9 and the -9 felt slightly lighter than the -10. All the girls in the dugout started doing the comparison as well and they all felt like the -9 felt lighter.

Is it possible that bats from the same manufacturer actually weigh more than listed weight. I have heard of 21oz bats actually weighing 23oz, just so people think the bat has more pop.

Could our -10 Easton actually weigh more than the other players -9 Easton?

Granted, we could weigh them, but the two players live 2 hours apart, and the logistics of us getting together and weighing bats at the Post Office are impossible.

DD hit the drop-9 the rest of the tournament with no problems and was wanting her one after the day.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Most bats are listed as "swing weight" not true weight. The stealth is a bit end loaded so typically they do weigh more then the stamped weight. The rocketech 21 oz that we just bought weighs 24 oz on a digital scale. The 19.5 oz synergy and miken rain we have (both balanced swing) weigh almost exactly the stamped weight. Why two different stealth weigh different is beyond me though, except maybe different years might be balance different, or could be lack of quality control.

Article explains it:

Swing Weight: Why moment-of-inertia matters more than weight

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2009
My 10 yr old uses an Easton Stealth 30/20(purple and white one). I have always thought it felt like a wooden fence post as compared to other bats that were longer and listed as an ounce or two more.

Yesterday she picked up another girls Easton Stealth 30/21(black and purple) and she said this bat feels so light. I took her -10 and campared it to the -9 and the -9 felt slightly lighter than the -10. All the girls in the dugout started doing the comparison as well and they all felt like the -9 felt lighter.

Is it possible that bats from the same manufacturer actually weigh more than listed weight. I have heard of 21oz bats actually weighing 23oz, just so people think the bat has more pop.

Could our -10 Easton actually weigh more than the other players -9 Easton?

Granted, we could weigh them, but the two players live 2 hours apart, and the logistics of us getting together and weighing bats at the Post Office are impossible.

DD hit the drop-9 the rest of the tournament with no problems and was wanting her one after the day.

Easton baseball bats are usually heavier by 1 to 2 ounces than they are listed.

Sounds like they have the same problem on the softball side.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DDubyah