Bat Throwing Drill

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I was working with a girl last night who has had a chronic problem of somewhat chipping down to the point of contact rather than turning the barrel and coming in to contact from the back side of the ball. I decided to have her try that bat throwing drill (helicopter). Anyway, I would have her do that a few times (no tee, no ball) then I would put a tee and a ball and have her use the same swing (without throwing the bat). It really seemed to work for her.

Does anyone know where (what thread) shows the bald guy in a batting cage doing this throw the bat (helicopter)? I can't seem to find it. I don't think it was all that long ago.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
95re5y.jpg

11vrzv9.jpg

This drill/guy? Swingbuilder.
Thread is on BBD Quality Dills!

Oct 19, 2009
I was working with a girl last night who has had a chronic problem of somewhat chipping down to the point of contact rather than turning the barrel and coming in to contact from the back side of the ball. I decided to have her try that bat throwing drill (helicopter). Anyway, I would have her do that a few times (no tee, no ball) then I would put a tee and a ball and have her use the same swing (without throwing the bat). It really seemed to work for her.

Does anyone know where (what thread) shows the bald guy in a batting cage doing this throw the bat (helicopter)? I can't seem to find it. I don't think it was all that long ago.

Doug check out this article below, at the end is some info on the bat throwing drill also some other good stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I don't know but Tim Walton has Francesca Enea demonstrating it on one of his CDs.

Something else to try with her is using a chuck-it. Two hands, practice driving the ball straight away. I used this with a 16 Y.O. who is a strong hitter but tends to roll her wrists early. If she rolled her wrists before contact with the chuckit, she drove the ball into the ground. I think it would be the same with a chipping-down swing.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
I'm not against this drill, but we had a team that did the bat throwing drill in our batting cages a few years back. They destroyed the cage. I don't recommend it indoors, or with $300 bats.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I don't think throwing bats into a high-quality indoor net batting cage will cause damage. However, the bat can hit the net just right and go through.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2014
Follow up from my post above, we used whiffle bats as the girls were 10/12U and had 2 stations using the whiffle bats. Nobody got hurt and thought it helped with them getting their hands out. Never tried throwing bats into a net but would probably work if the netting is durable.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl