Bat Sting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 21, 2010
corinth,tx
agree with last post,you cant get rid of it all its actually a good reminder for when they chase a bad pitch or make a bad swing. gloves help a little with the sting, cheap bats will sting more of off hits. grip is very important most young girls will squeeze the handle making any vibration worse. im sure there are threads here on grip technique but its very important to remove most of the sting

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
Buy high quality bats ($$), hit it with the barrel and problem solved.

Like others said, cheap bats sting, badly.

When son was 8 yo and playing kid-pitch baseball, I bought him a $30 wal mart bat. It stung the piss out of him so bad every hit that he refused to use it. Of course I didnt believe it, so I tried it. It was awful, even on the "sweet" spot. I cut that bat in two to use the handle for a training aid after that. Went to sporting goods store and bought a $50 easton and life was good.

Lesson learned, never buy any cheap bat from Wal-mart that says Worth on it. Ive extended that simply to never buy any Worth product. I dont give business to companies that produce pure $hit, event in a bottom tier product line.

Last edited:

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Funny, as I recall my son's bat that I discussed earlier was a Worth as well. Or a Worthless as I referred to it. The replacement was an Easton. It made a huge difference.

Dec 28, 2015
I've never been on a thread - so hang me if needed. I created a product for dampening the vibration. It works. My 17 year old baseball player was dealing with this issue and took my tennis knowledge on dampening and started 0VIBE (stands for zero vibration). this product allows players to hit in the cages endlessly without any stingers. the added weight builds strength. check our 0vibe.com.... youtube video to come. sorry I'm new to business and to threads if this plug is out of line... again sorry.

May 9, 2013
Lots of good advice here but they can't always hit it on the sweet spot and if they foul one off and get stung their next swing is not going to be as you would like. Get good multi-piece composites. Drop 11 for smaller girls and Drop 10 for others. (LS Xeno or Demarini CF) Only sting they will feel are on severely mishit balls. Heavier bats will help some if they can swing them but not as much as having the handle of a composite as a separate piece from the barrel. My daughter (small) still experienced significant sting with a one piece composite when it was hit anywhere other than the sweet spot. Not many kids can hit the sweet spot every time.

Jan 14, 2015
No Pain - No Gain. Find a bat she likes and can physically handle with good acceleration, then learn how to square up the sweet spot to the ball.

Last edited:

ian

Jun 11, 2015
At my DDs practice all the girls were complaining. It was about 3 degrees outside, ok It was 40 but we are In CA, all it took was one off the end of the bat to ruin the session. The cold amplifies the sting. Pain didnt stop until they got their hands warm. I told my daughter the only way to prevent the pain is to focus and square the ball especially the outside pitches.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
Many stating the obvious but it's easier said that done. What I see is coaches warming up before tournaments with whiffles or more expensive practice balls. They toss them and many girls do what I call tennis racquet swings, and pay no attention to where on the bat they are hitting. They will just wave the barrel and hit a bunch of rollover grounders off the handle and the coach doesn't say anything.

Bat accuracy, squaring up and hitting on or near the sweet spot is a crucial skill that doesn't just happen.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1