Bat Size Suprise

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Last week I had my 16 year old daughters Synergy 33/22 (which feels slightly endloaded) in the bag. I was coaching my 12u team made of all but one 11 year old. One of them asked to use the bat and to my surprise 3 of them asked to use it. They successfully used and easily handled the bat. I encourage dad's who are worried about bat weight and wind up buying a -12 or even -13 bat to work on mechanics and connection and not be afraid of something a little heavier (like -10) and a little longer. I think all of my 11 y/o are swinging 32/22's. We have a nice 2012 DeMarini CF5 32/21 the kids seem to love as well but in general the kids that were swinging 30" bats just 2 months ago are handling these bigger bats just fine.

Sep 21, 2011
At 11 years old, there is a very wide range of physical maturity. Some players can handle a heavier bat and some can't.

Mar 25, 2011
Well, my DD has been using a 29/18 for last season, and was a 28/17 the season before. This last practice she used a 30/20. I was concerned for her about jumping in both length and weight, but, she handled it just fine. She did notice the difference, and she was feeling it by the end. However, for doubtful parents out there, the balls she was connecting on, well, they definitely were moving with a sharper pace. I'm not saying race to get a big bat, but, at the same time, keep trying to go up to the uppper limit.

Sep 21, 2011
It depends upon what you mean by "can handle". Can she physically pick up the bat and swing it? With practice, probably yes. But is it the correct bat to produce optimal performance? Maybe not. When I was a kid, we used wood bats that were heavy as logs. There's no way that those bats produced optimal performance but that was all we had available. Now there are many more choices.

Consider this... Albert Pujols weighs 230 lb and swings a 32 oz bat. So a 22 oz bat might not be the optimal choice for all 11 year old girls (such as an 80 lb girl who hasn't gone through puberty yet).

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I'm not convinced lighter bats don't have a place. I think DD did well with hers but she matured physically and I hadn't been experimenting with a heavier bat.

She asked if I wanted to wear her mask while pitching to her last night. I think I will.

Oct 25, 2009
I watched a D1 team this past weekend where the rule is no one swings less than a 25 oz bat. I know kids on that team that hit it far using 23 oz bats. This weekend it was obvious the bats were too heavy for some. They got right many hits but most were mid-outfield. IOW, it worked, for the teams they played but the bats didn't seem as quick.

A TB player switched from her 25 oz to her 23 oz this past weekend and her coaches were talking about how much more pop she had on the ball. She's good athletic size. I've always wondered why anyone would want to swing a 25-26 oz bat when a 23 oz bat will hit well beyond 200'.

Sep 19, 2011
It depends upon what you mean by "can handle". Can she physically pick up the bat and swing it? With practice, probably yes. But is it the correct bat to produce optimal performance? Maybe not. When I was a kid, we used wood bats that were heavy as logs. There's no way that those bats produced optimal performance but that was all we had available. Now there are many more choices.

Consider this... Albert Pujols weighs 230 lb and swings a 32 oz bat. So a 22 oz bat might not be the optimal choice for all 11 year old girls (such as an 80 lb girl who hasn't gone through puberty yet).

so so very true, in fact like my DD who is 12, and is thin as a twig only 64lbs soaking wet, there no way she could handle a 33/23 bat

Mar 25, 2011
Gilbo... how tall is your daughter. Mine is quite petite, at 4'09" and maybe 80 lbs now, and she turned 12 in august. I gotta go put her on the scale, see what she weighs.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid