Bat Size Advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 25, 2014
Hello, My daughter is a big 8 year old. She's 4'8" 110 lbs. She's currently swinging an Easton aluminum 30/19 and hits the ball pretty hard. I'm looking to get her a good composite bat. My dilemma is what size to get her? If I drop the money on a good composite I want it to last a few years. I was thinking a 31/21 but scared its going to be to much for her right now. She's a strong girl but how much is to much. Any suggestions ?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Hello, My daughter is a big 8 year old. She's 4'8" 110 lbs. She's currently swinging an Easton aluminum 30/19 and hits the ball pretty hard. I'm looking to get her a good composite bat. My dilemma is what size to get her? If I drop the money on a good composite I want it to last a few years. I was thinking a 31/21 but scared its going to be to much for her right now. She's a strong girl but how much is to much. Any suggestions ?

She's 8. She's going to grow. Expecting her to be able to use the same bat for the next 2 years - or even the next 12 months - will limit her either now or later.

My DD is 9 (4'-9", 83 lbs). 12 months ago she was new to a 29. Currently, she is swinging a 30 (last year's Christmas present), but it's starting to be on the short side for her. I just ordered a 31. If it lasts through Spring ball next year, I will be surprised.

If you're looking at a high-end bat, you have the advantage of decent resale value when it's time to move up, but if you go that path, plan on moving up as appropriate.

Personally, I will be waiting until my young DD is in 12U before we step up to something like a CF or Xeno. For now, sub-$100 bats are just fine. Her incoming 31" Combat Avaritia was picked up for $50 on ebay.

Also...Welcome to DFP! Enjoy the ride :)

Last edited:

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Personally, I will be waiting until my young DD is in 12U before we step up to something like a CF or Xeno. For now, sub-$100 bats are just fine. Her incoming 31" Combat Avaritia was picked up for $50 on ebay.

Btw, hit me up and lmk how that bat is. Heard decent things especially for the price

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I would recommend you go with the 31/21. If it is a little too much for her, but a choke up on the end of the handle for a couple of months until she grows into it.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Btw, hit me up and lmk how that bat is. Heard decent things especially for the price

First impressions of the Avarita by my DD..."I LOVE IT!!"

In my observation, she was hitting the ball pretty damn hard, but this was hitting off a tee. We'll see how she handles it against pitching...

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Thats cool...atleast first impression is gtg.

I dont think her reaction will change because its a better bat than what she had before. My question would be sweetspot size as you go into live pitching.

Aug 20, 2013
I would recommend you go with the 31/21. If it is a little too much for her, but a choke up on the end of the handle for a couple of months until she grows into it.

With all due respect, I have to disagree on the 31/21 recommendation. That's way too much bat for the DD described in this thread. 30/20 would be the biggest I'd suggest but that depends on the bat type as well. i doubt she'd swing an Easton that is labeled 20oz very well but may do ok with a Demarini at 20oz.

IMO, I see alot of people that want to go big with bat sizes in the 8 - 10yo range. As a result, I see lot's of girls that struggle with bat speed and even basic mechanics becasue they are using a bat that is too big for them.

Last edited: