Bat performance with a chip

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
If folks really knew how much it takes to have the bat crack at the barrel and
fly apart, think people would worry way less and why Im always a little more relaxed
on cracks in bats or whatever. Im NOT saying the bat should be in play when cracked,
but its not going to split apart on one swing and kill someone like people think...haha.

I actually did this with a couple bats just for the hell of it. They were already cracked in the barrel pretty good.
I started hitting the things to see what it would take. Man, im telling you...its like a rope...one thread breaks
but all the others are holding on. I hit those things til the upper half of the bat was dangling from the part
my hands were holding and I don't swing light. The top finally let loose after many, many swings past what
even an insane person would hit a bat looking like that would.

May 29, 2015
I still agree and disagree with you on this one Core. I’ve seen bats break with pieces flying and jagged edges. On the other side, I have also watched the YouTube video of the kid demolishing one side of the bat and then still hitting with the other side.

An “exploding bat” is unlikely, but not impossible. For this reason, we toss things that may be an issue. They may not be an issue, but safety doesn’t err on the side of may not.

It seems to be more likely (with a random watching of YouTube) that cases of the bat breaking in two (or more), the handle and barrel will detach.

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
If folks really knew how much it takes to have the bat crack at the barrel and
fly apart, think people would worry way less and why Im always a little more relaxed
on cracks in bats or whatever. Im NOT saying the bat should be in play when cracked,
but its not going to split apart on one swing and kill someone like people think...haha.

I actually did this with a couple bats just for the hell of it. They were already cracked in the barrel pretty good.
I started hitting the things to see what it would take. Man, im telling you...its like a rope...one thread breaks
but all the others are holding on. I hit those things til the upper half of the bat was dangling from the part
my hands were holding and I don't swing light. The top finally let loose after many, many swings past what
even an insane person would hit a bat looking like that would.
Was that you on the old video of a guy shredding a SCN3? Took about 10 more swings to knock the top half of the barrel off once he knocked huge hole in it.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
It seems to be more likely (with a random watching of YouTube) that cases of the bat breaking in two (or more), the handle and barrel will detach.

Not talking about handles or caps or anything else...strictly talking about cracks in a barrel and the BARREL flying apart.

Wasn't even going into the should toss or not...I actually said I think a cracked bat SHOULD BE tossed. So no argument there MIB. Because at some point you dont wanna hit it for safety. But the bat will prob die first.

Just trying to tell people a little crack in the barrel WILL NOT explode. Takes a while for a barrel to split in half and go flying. A small crack or chip in the barrel isnt gonna blow apart and hurt anybody nor will the barrel break in half suddenly and fly somewhere. That crack needs to be huge and will be very noticeable and hit many times.

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
Flying barrels of flying monkeys?! 😁

Was that you on the old video of a guy shredding a SCN3? Took about 10 more swings to knock the top half of the barrel off once he knocked huge hole in it.

Could be ... the video I saw was a guy and his kid. They seemed to have more money than sense. And the kid didn’t have a great swing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying