Bat performance with a chip

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 25, 2016
There is a girl on my team with a chip in her bat about the size of a quarter, right in the sweet spot. The outter painted layer (shell) is off and you can see the black Barrel exposed. This bat is atleast 4 years old and the girl couldn't hit a ball out of the infield before this chip appeared, now she is lacing them to the fence. I asked her what changed, lessons? Extra work at home? Nothing changed she gets reps at practice and that's all. Now I know this bat should be disallowed and she shouldn't be swinging it, but is it possible this chip is enhancing the performance or is it all just clicking for her now and she is just seeing the ball better? Supposedly she is getting a new bat for the upcoming season so we might find out the answer soon but just curious what everyone thinks.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
Older single barrel bats would get really hot when they started to crack before a terminal failure; AKA Breaking in half. However, I never saw one add 150’ to a player’s swing. Maybe 25’ at best, but still a big difference.

I would think the added performance to a double barrel, or disc bat would be minimal. They are designed for the outer barrel to compress to whatever is inside to control the compression. Before DD busted her Ghost, it wasn’t noticeably hotter in the weeks before.

May 29, 2015
If it is just a paint chip as you say, it is still a legal bat. No problems there.

I doubt the bat has much to do with the sudden increase in performance. Then again, I always drank a Minute Maid Orange Soda before my games (as a player). If I didn’t, I didn’t have as good of a game. I’m sure it was the soda. 😁

Nov 25, 2016
If it is just a paint chip as you say, it is still a legal bat. No problems there.

I doubt the bat has much to do with the sudden increase in performance. Then again, I always drank a Minute Maid Orange Soda before my games (as a player). If I didn’t, I didn’t have as good of a game. I’m sure it was the soda.
It looks like a paint chip but there is a gouge definitely more than a paint chip. When I said size of a quarter I meant thickness as well.

I agree it won't add 125ft to the ball. The girl has a nice swing so maybe everything just came together for her...

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Jul 28, 2019
That bat won’t be allowed in play if an ump sees it. It’s about to shatter, and hopefully not towards a players face.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Not a paint crack...the outer layer chipped off. I haven't seen it, but sounds like the inner comp layer is now showing.

But regardless, its not gonna make her hit better. Maybe she is just getting better or squaring more balls up.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
That bat won’t be allowed in play if an ump sees it. It’s about to shatter, and hopefully not towards a players face.

With all do respect, its not about to shatter and composite bats don't just shatter or explode apart if you know
that a composite is woven together. So no worries about death shrapnel killing everybody on the field...haha

Mar 4, 2018
With all do respect, its not about to shatter and composite bats don't just shatter or explode apart if you know
that a composite is woven together. So no worries about death shrapnel killing everybody on the field...haha

With all do respect, this could happen though.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Hahahahahahahaha...well, you saw it in wrestling...has to be real :)

That's awesome...like what were trying to accomplish with that effect?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802