Bat hits ball 2nd time

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 22, 2015
@mmeece I agree it is rare, and that is another reason I favor simplifying it.

Generally, the batter is going to have to toss the bat beyond where they bunted the ball for it to happen, which is unusual. Like I said, I don't expect them to not drop the bat in fair territory ... I just don't expect them to toss it farther than the ball went (not really a drop then).

I hadn't considered it the way you described with the bat beyond the ball. The only ways I've seen it is when the ball pops up and backspins towards the bat or when the bat is dropped on the 1B line and the ball curves into it.

May 29, 2015
Maybe that's a better way to simplify it and still not punish the batter for something out of the batter's control ...

If the ball is beyond the bat and the ball backspins into it: live ball play on.
If the bat is beyond the ball and the ball rolls into it: dead ball, interference.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Part of the issue is thinking it matters what hit which, there is no difference between bat hitting ball and ball hitting bat. If it occurs in or over fair territory batter is out. If it occurs in or over foul territory and the umpire feels the ball could have gone fair, the batter is out. If it is in or over foul territory and no chance to go fair, then foul ball. Exceptions are if the batter is holding the bat and still in the batters box, then foul ball regardless of location of bat and ball.

EDITED AFTER HAVING BEEN SCHOOLED (thanks to those who helped straighten me out)

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2018
Part of the issue is thinking it matters what hit which, there is no difference between bat hitting ball and ball hitting bat. If it occurs in or over fair territory batter is out. If it occurs in or over foul territory and the umpire feels the ball could have gone fair, the batter is out. If it is in or over foul territory and no chance to go fair, then foul ball. Exceptions are if the batter is holding the bat and still in the batters box, then foul ball regardless of location of bat and ball.
You might want to rethink that statement by checking a rule book.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
If you are saying bat hits ball/ball hits bat makes a difference, tell me what you have when a slow rolling bunt headed foul but still in fair territory hits a motionless bat that prevents it from going foul.

May 29, 2015
I have a fair ball.

Yes, it makes a difference. It is a convoluted interpretation that is asinine, IMO. USA Softball at least spells it out in their rule.

NFHS 7-4-13
1624157421509.png

Essentially, the NFHS interp is the ball hitting the bat is NOT the bat hitting the ball, which is what the rule says. Since a discarded bat is "part of the field" a ball rolling into a stationary bat is a live ball, play on.

USA Softball 7.6.M (not their best constructed section) states the batter is OUT ...
M. When the batter hits a fair ball with the bat a second time in fair territory.
EFFECT - Section 6F-M:
1.) The ball is dead.
2.) The batter is out.
3.) Runners must return to the base occupied at the time of the pitch.
EXCEPTION:
1.) When the batter is in the batter's box and contact is made while the bat is in the batter's hands. EFFECT: Foul ball, even if the ball is hit a second time over fair territory.
2.) When the batter drops the bat and the ball rolls against the bat in fair territory, and, in the umpire's judgment, there was no intent to interfere with the ball. EFFECT: The ball is live.
3.) When contact is made on the follow through after missing the pitch on the initial swing. EFFECT: The ball is dead and a strike is called.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2015
If you are saying bat hits ball/ball hits bat makes a difference, tell me what you have when a slow rolling bunt headed foul but still in fair territory hits a motionless bat that prevents it from going foul.
Live ball by rule. Dropped bat is part of the field.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Live ball by rule. Dropped bat is part of the field.

Yes, after checking the case book, they talk about this exact play, stationary bat and moving ball. I would have been in error had I needed to make this ruling, but know I now. Which leads to the Schrödinger's question of, if both are moving which hit what? For all that is holy, PLEASE rules committees, change this ruling/interpretation!!

Jul 22, 2015
if both are moving which hit what? For all that is holy, PLEASE rules committees, change this ruling/interpretation!!
Wondered about this exact question myself. I guess you try to figure out which was traveling farther? Faster?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles