Bat hits ball 2nd time

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 12, 2016
Okay I need the help of someone smarter than me. We were playing High School Varsity game last night. I called a bunt, my hitter dropped down a fairly good bunt right in front of the plate. She dropped her bat and ran toward first. When the bat it the ground it rolled into fair territory and made contact with the ball. Now the batter was thrown out and the go ahead run was advanced to second. The home plated ump said that the contact was not on purpose and the play would stand as called batter was out at first and runner advanced to second. The other teams coach appealed this saying that the play should have been dead once the bat made contact with the ball and the batter would be out and the runner could not advance.
I need to see what the correct call is as this is the second time this same batter has done this. I just want to verify the rule. Who knows what the right call is?

May 16, 2012
Missouri
Okay I need the help of someone smarter than me. We were playing High School Varsity game last night. I called a bunt, my hitter dropped down a fairly good bunt right in front of the plate. She dropped her bat and ran toward first. When the bat it the ground it rolled into fair territory and made contact with the ball. Now the batter was thrown out and the go ahead run was advanced to second. The home plated ump said that the contact was not on purpose and the play would stand as called batter was out at first and runner advanced to second. The other teams coach appealed this saying that the play should have been dead once the bat made contact with the ball and the batter would be out and the runner could not advance.
I need to see what the correct call is as this is the second time this same batter has done this. I just want to verify the rule. Who knows what the right call is?
Bat hits the ball: Dead ball and batter out. Ball hits the bat: nothing

Jan 11, 2015

Yup just like he said it. Based on what you wrote, the bat hit the ball so it should have been a dead ball and the batter runner called out for interference. Runners return back to the base.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210616-144425.png
    Screenshot_20210616-144425.png
    186.7 KB · Views: 19
Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
The right answer has been given, so I'll grab my soapbox.

I HATE this rule and wish it would be changed.

Changed how? Live ball as long as there's no obvious intent to interfere from the hitter?

Speaking of intent: It's amazing how many HS umpires I deal with will say "it wasn't intentional" with a whole host of infractions where intent isn't required (obstruction, interference, slinging a bat directly into a catcher's chest, etc.).

May 29, 2015
Changed how? Live ball as long as there's no obvious intent to interfere from the hitter?

Speaking of intent: It's amazing how many HS umpires I deal with will say "it wasn't intentional" with a whole host of infractions where intent isn't required (obstruction, interference, slinging a bat directly into a catcher's chest, etc.).

No, I would go the other way ... ANY contact IS interference. No degree in quantum physics or prior knowledge of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle is needed. Where was the bat? (How fast) was it moving? Where was the ball? (How fast) was it moving? Was Mercury in retrograde or anterograde? Who did shoot J.R.? OK, then it is an out.

As you said, intent is not always a requirement so ignoring intent here is no issue.

Jul 22, 2015
No, I would go the other way ... ANY contact IS interference. No degree in quantum physics or prior knowledge of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle is needed. Where was the bat? (How fast) was it moving? Where was the ball? (How fast) was it moving? Was Mercury in retrograde or anterograde? Who did shoot J.R.? OK, then it is an out.

As you said, intent is not always a requirement so ignoring intent here is no issue.
So now I'm curious. If the bat is sitting still and the ball backspins into it you would want interference?

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
So now I'm curious. If the bat is sitting still and the ball backspins into it you would want interference?

Don't want to speak for TMIB, but my guess is his answer is "yes, if the bat is in fair territory."

And I think I'm with him. There's no real need to drop a bat in fair territory, especially on a bunt (99% of the time this is bunt-related).

Jul 22, 2015
I'd argue it's virtually impossible not to drop it in fair territory as a RH if you're truly trying to beat out a bunt. Slappers who bunt essentially have to drop it fair unless they want to jump over it. If you just walk through it and think of doing it as quickly as possible the bat ends up fair almost every time. I understand wanting it to be simple but if you've ever played baseball or softball you'll realize it just isn't practical. In all of the thousands of baseball or softball games I've ever watched I've seen it happen maybe 5 times (and 2 were in the same game).

May 29, 2015
@mmeece I agree it is rare, and that is another reason I favor simplifying it.

Generally, the batter is going to have to toss the bat beyond where they bunted the ball for it to happen, which is unusual. Like I said, I don't expect them to not drop the bat in fair territory ... I just don't expect them to toss it farther than the ball went (not really a drop then).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles