Bat help needed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 28, 2015
Some kids have a great swing and some kids have a fast swing. If my daughter has a great swing with good mechanics but not the fas test swing. Would it be better for her to use a heavier bat to practice with to increase swing speed and then use smaller bat during game to hit ball further, or if she is swinging heavier bat great and making great connection with ball just let her use the heavier bat and chaulk it up to not the fastest swinger with good mechanics or keep having her swing heavier bay and use smaller one. I know ow it sounds weird but just need help on what to do. Her swing has gotten faster just looking for more power on her swing.

Bat speed is key. However, the only way your DD will get more power in her swing is to use more of the power in her body. The bat really doesn't matter all that much as long as it is one of the top models and as long as she likes it and it makes her feel confident.

My advice is to spend the money on a good hitting instructor.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Your DD needs to be swinging the heaviest bat she can without losing bat speed and maintaining good mechanics. As far as practicing goes, a combination of underloading and overloading have the best effect on bat speed increase. That said, if she's slow to begin with and has remained so, either her mechanics are not as good as you think, her bat has been too heavy from the start or a combination of both. My advice is the same as LAS. Spend money on a quality hitting coach or at a minimum, take some video/ slo-mo video of your DD hitting and post it on the Hitting Technical forum. Some of the top HCs are on here and are usually willing to critique and give suggestions on what to work on.

Mar 21, 2013
Some smaller girls can bomb it and some bigger girls can't. God blesses everyone with something. As stated get an instructor and be the best at whatever type of hitter you are.

Sep 28, 2015
she does go to a hitting instructor, she has not been in a month due to schedule and games. She hits good i can say that, it may be me as crazy parent but a season ago she used to hit to the outfield all the time and it seems like this season it is just not getting there. Yes i know she is only 8u and this is coach pitch we have a long way to. I guess more my question is which bat do you go with if she can swing both bats eqaully well go with bigger bat or stay with smaller one, and if i stay with samller one will it help or just mess things up. I know yocoach said heaviest bat possible without losing bat speed which i understand and is great advice but i am just trying to learn what it will do and what it will hurt, both are 16 0z bats but one is a 27 and one is a 29

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
F=MA Force (exerted on the ball) = Mass (bat) x Acceleration (bat speed). Therefore there is a trade off when using a heavier bat at the loss of bat speed. One must also consider pitch speed and the ability of the batter to time the pitch and get the barrel of the bat on the ball.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Some smaller girls can bomb it and some bigger girls can't. God blesses everyone with something. As stated get an instructor and be the best at whatever type of hitter you are.

With today's composite bats and faster pitch speeds, the secret to hitting bombs is squaring up the ball on the sweet spot of the bat with good trajectory. A 205' HR counts the same as a 250' bomb.

Oct 2, 2015
F=MA Force (exerted on the ball) = Mass (bat) x Acceleration (bat speed). Therefore there is a trade off when using a heavier bat at the loss of bat speed. One must also consider pitch speed and the ability of the batter to time the pitch and get the barrel of the bat on the ball.

x2...
We've stuck with the 34/24 over the 34/26 for my oldest DD.
She keeps the bat speed up quite a bit on the Zepp with the 34/24, over the 34/26.
This spring we'll compare distance with the 2 bats, but her bat speed is definitely quicker with the 34/24.
Maybe just try the longer barreled bat, at first before going alot heavier.

Oct 2, 2015
With today's composite bats and faster pitch speeds, the secret to hitting bombs is squaring up the ball on the sweet spot of the bat with good trajectory. A 205' HR counts the same as a 250' bomb.

yes...but it's so fun watchin' them fly...:D

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Usually, adding an inch of length is equivalent to adding an ounce of weight when it comes to swing speed. Therefore, it's the same as your DD swinging 27 inch -9 or 18 Oz. bat when swinging the 29. If you're comfortable with her swing speed using the 29" bat and the mechanics haven't broken down, then you can do that. The advantage would be a little more plate coverage only. However, I would move my DD into 28/18 before letting her swing a 29 drop 13 at that age. Or at the very least, a 28/17. Then have her transition into either a 29 drop 11 or better yet, a drop 10.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC