"Barrel Dump"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 15, 2013
My 10 Year Old is having a problem "dumping the barrel" as soon as her swing starts. I think it because she is trying to get on the plane early, but it causes inconsistencies. I'm not sure if is is just bat drag that is the root cause. But as soon as the pitch is thrown there is a load, stride and then the barrel drops below her shoulders. She can't feel herself doing it unless she is taking a pitch.

Without being over complicated, what can I do to help this issue? Are there any cues or drills that can prevent that wrist movement ?

Thanks in advance!

Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
Without seeing your DD, cues I use for this are:

1. "Turn the triangle", making sure the top of the triangle does the turning, not the elbows

2. Think of the upper body (torso, arms and hands) "fused" together through the throwing of the barrel. If you "unfuse", you get collapsing elbows and barrel dump.

3. "Don't unhinge the top wrist early." This is usually where barrel dump begins.

They're pretty basic, but those seem to work for my hitters. Good luck!

Dec 15, 2013
Without seeing your DD, cues I use for this are:

1. "Turn the triangle", making sure the top of the triangle does the turning, not the elbows

2. Think of the upper body (torso, arms and hands) "fused" together through the throwing of the barrel. If you "unfuse", you get collapsing elbows and barrel dump.

3. "Don't unhinge the top wrist early." This is usually where barrel dump begins.

They're pretty basic, but those seem to work for my hitters. Good luck!

Thanks! I'm trying a wrist cue that hasn't seemed to sink in, but I like the Turn the triangle.

Oct 25, 2009
One of the best drills for helping cure barrel dump is working on outside hitting. Outside hitting quickly exposes barrel dump.

Set up a hitting screen about 15-20 feet in front of the plate shifted about half way between the pitching rubber and 3rd. Throw toward the outside corner of the plate. The batter MUST hit the ball to the right field gap or over the right fielder.

You will see serious barrel dump when you first begin. There will be LOTS of slices and pop ups. After several buckets the batter should be hitting some toward the gap. They can only accomplish that by NOT dumping the barrel. The correct barrel adjustment will feel awkward to the batter, but after they see the balls start going to the gap they will understand the dump feeling much better.

Most batters hate this drill until they begin to hit liners to the gap. It takes a while and it must be a continuing practice but it works. You will also see an increase in power for regular hits, also.

Oct 25, 2009
Thank you very much! I will try that as well. I will let you guys know how it goes

Make sure she experiments with barrel adjustments. Have her swing with the barrel higher than she feels it should be. The results will be the reward that makes the adjustment stick.

Don't quit until it works. It WILL work. Be prepared for the complaining.

Sep 17, 2009
Have her get the feel of controlling the barrel with her hands. She has to control it with her hands, not arms and shoulders. One way: when she's in her stance/ready position, put your hands on the barrel and create some resistance/move it around a bit. She should feel that in her hands. This will help her realize that she controls where the *barrel* goes with her *hands*. Now do a slow-mo swing with the emphasis of turning the handle between the hands to deliver the barrel to contact rather than laying the bat back and dragging it with arms shoulders.

Just "livening" up the hands is an important first step for many young hitters.

Dec 15, 2013
Her lower half actually looks really good. But I think the dominant right hand (back arm) gets excited and trys to lead the swing. I think that is what initiates this movement.

Thanks for not overcomplicating this for me. ANy additional replies are welcome

Jul 2, 2013
Make sure her stride is not too exaggerated, or long.

My DD has a tendency, when she strides too long, to hit under the ball about an inch below where intended. Causing a lot of fly balls.

We suspected it was the dip in her hips which she did not account for and her hand eye coordination to the ball.

We shortened her stride which kept her hips more level and brought her to the ball better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi