Ball hits bat dropped in fair territory

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
I'm an umpire. I attend clinics and umpire schools. I read the rules and clairfications put out by ASA and other sanctioning bodies for which I call games.

ASA took the word "intentional" out of a number of interference related rules several years ago because too many umpires refused to call interference because they claimed that they can't read a player's mind as to what her "intent" was in doing certain things on the field. We were instructed at that time to judge the act, not the intent of the act.

Unfortunately, these interpretations that are made at the highest levels do not always make it down to the umpires that are working the local leagues. There are many places in the communication chain that it could break down, but the individual umpire bears the brunt of the responsibility for studying the rules and interpretations and honing their craft by attending clinics and schools.

The wording in the rule of "...interferes by discarding their bat in a manner that prevents the defense from making a play on the ball." has been interpreted to mean a deliberate act, as judged by the umpire. This interpretation has been presented numerous times over the years at clinics, schools, and written releases.

Example - Batter bunts toward the pitcher, as the batter is leaving the box to run to first, she throws her bat out between the ball and the pitcher in an attempt to make the pitcher have to manuever around the bat to get to the ball. This would be an example of where the rule would be invoked and interference would be called.

Mar 15, 2014
I'm an umpire. I attend clinics and umpire schools. I read the rules and clairfications put out by ASA and other sanctioning bodies for which I call games.

ASA took the word "intentional" out of a number of interference related rules several years ago because too many umpires refused to call interference because they claimed that they can't read a player's mind as to what her "intent" was in doing certain things on the field. We were instructed at that time to judge the act, not the intent of the act.

Unfortunately, these interpretations that are made at the highest levels do not always make it down to the umpires that are working the local leagues. There are many places in the communication chain that it could break down, but the individual umpire bears the brunt of the responsibility for studying the rules and interpretations and honing their craft by attending clinics and schools.

The wording in the rule of "...interferes by discarding their bat in a manner that prevents the defense from making a play on the ball." has been interpreted to mean a deliberate act, as judged by the umpire. This interpretation has been presented numerous times over the years at clinics, schools, and written releases.

Example - Batter bunts toward the pitcher, as the batter is leaving the box to run to first, she throws her bat out between the ball and the pitcher in an attempt to make the pitcher have to manuever around the bat to get to the ball. This would be an example of where the rule would be invoked and interference would be called.
Thanks--it can be confusing.
Frankly I was confusing softball with baseball--in base ball it clearly states that a thrown bat in fair territory that interferes with a play is an out, while a broken bat would be play on.
The OP asked, however, about the bat hitting the ball a second time--and I think we can all agree that is an out no matter what.

Last edited:
May 30, 2011
I think to invoke 8-2-F-5 the discarded bat needs to be still moving
Does the rule state the bat must be moving??

Absolutely not. But a batters bat is equipment that is allowed to be on the field without penalty.

B1 a right handed batter bunts ball few feet into fair ground to first base side. Takes off for 1B and discards bat to her right. F2 is trailing B1 to field the bunted ball. The bat bounces into F2s path and she trips over it. Batter interference. Don't care about intent was the action of discarding the bat that interfered with F2 making a play.

B1 a speed demon hits a gapper and is off like a shot. She drops her bat to her left and it rolls around ending up in fair ground in front of right hand batters box. Ball coming back to infield misses cutoff and coach sends BR home. Defense throws home with plenty of time. Long throw going to be a one hopper to F2 but it hits the discarded bat still laying there. Nothing. The action of discarding the bat is long since over the bat was legally on the field live ball go get it play on.

At some point the act of discarding the bat which is an action that could potentially cause interference is over and the discarded bat is just legally on the field and in play much like the ground it is lying on. For me a good indication would be that the bat is still moving as a result of the batter having recently discarded it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors