Bad Softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Best pitcher in the nation last year was Rachel Garcia, at 5' 6" she would have been ignored by many D1 programs at their camps
I get what you are saying but that might be pushing the narrative a tad bit too far...

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
You make some great points.
I just wonder how some of these coaches manage to make the same mistakes year after year and skate by. In the world of business if you don't constantly evolve you get left behind. Seems like coaching doesn't follow that paradigm.
But maybe they do pay a price because we hear about college softball coaches getting relieved all the time when their programs do not consistently win. The overall level of player talent on a team has to be the single greatest factor in determining wins and losses. For diamond sports, I think you could go one step further and say that the overall level of pitching talent is the single greatest factor in determining wins and losses. College coaches are there to develop and maximize talent, but most importantly to recruit it. It's easy to look like a genius if you have a couple of stud pitchers that can give your team a chance to win every game.

May 27, 2013
I’m thinking because Garcia throws in the upper 60’s she would not have been overlooked, even at 5’6. Plus she had a great bat and is also solid. It seems that so many pitchers hit the low 60’s anymore at the D1 camps we’ve been to that it’s the new norm. For the girls that are in that range, the difference maker might be size in a coach’s eyes.

Apr 28, 2014
I’m thinking because Garcia throws in the upper 60’s she would not have been overlooked, even at 5’6. Plus she had a great bat and is also solid. It seems that so many pitchers hit the low 60’s anymore at the D1 camps we’ve been to that it’s the new norm. For the girls that are in that range, the difference maker might be size in a coach’s eyes.
As a freshman Garcia won PGF premier bracket, I think the video is on YouTube. She was topping out at 62. That is where some of these girls range who are being ignored by college programs who have Eras close to double digits :)

Mar 20, 2015
Is there something extraordinary about Garcia's physique that makes her that good? There is obviously some other quality she posses. Arm and hand quickness, finger dexterity, fast twitch muscles, reflexes, hand eye coordination something but its definitely not height and "long levers".

May 27, 2013
I get what you’re saying - but she was throwing 62 as a HS freshman, correct? I’m sure by her junior year (going by recruiting age now) she was throwing harder.

Believe me, there are some girls who I’ve personally seen and played against who were recruited to D1 programs that just leave me shaking my head. But hey, kudos to them if they pitched the game of their life while a coach was watching, or just had a phenomenal day at a camp. I’m sure it happens, and I wish those girls all the best. I’ll still always be happy for them. 😊

Jun 8, 2016
As a freshman Garcia won PGF premier bracket, I think the video is on YouTube.
Which is the exact reason she wouldn't have been ignored at camps..unless of course the two pitchers you mentioned did the same thing.. ;)

May 27, 2013
Is there something extraordinary about Garcia's physique that makes her that good? There is obviously some other quality she posses. Arm and hand quickness, finger dexterity, fast twitch muscles, reflexes, hand eye coordination something but its definitely not height and "long levers".

I think the fact that she won PGF as a freshman (if that is the case) makes her an automatic standout. She pitched against the highest level competition at 18U. She proved herself.

Jun 7, 2016
BT I think your observation is self explanatory. There is a reason the coaches are now 3-17. Maybe injuries or something else unforseen. My bet is they suck at talent recogniation. There is a reason White, Gasso, etal are successful year after year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi