Bad Softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2014
BT I think your observation is self explanatory. There is a reason the coaches are now 3-17. Maybe injuries or something else unforseen. My bet is they suck at talent recogniation. There is a reason White, Gasso, etal are successful year after year.
And the coaches who make them better at the college level
Faraimo is so much better this year versus last year.
Lisa Fernandez is a great coach

Mar 20, 2015
I think the fact that she won PGF as a freshman (if that is the case) makes her an automatic standout. She pitched against the highest level competition at 18U. She proved herself.
Looking past just recruiting part there is general philosophy to look and develop pitching talent with a weight factor placed on height which intuitively seems correct. Height is important but there is enough data points out there to demonstrate that there is some other factor at play that over rides height.

Apr 28, 2014
I think the fact that she won PGF as a freshman (if that is the case) makes her an automatic standout. She pitched against the highest level competition at 18U. She proved herself.
Obviously
My point is that her body type didn't matter.
And coaches should be more willing to look at smaller girls due to the example of Garcia :)

Jan 28, 2017
Lugo is listed at 5'5" and Trlichek (sp?)--the Florida lefty that started against Auburn on Friday and pitched a shut out--is listed at 5'4". Florida is the #8 team in the country. Such women of average height are certainly the exception rather than the rule at high-level D1, but pitchers can pitch regardless of height. Kylie Bass, a Georgia lefty a couple years back, was a listed at 5'0" and threw in the upper 50s--was a junk baller that drove batters crazy with spin/movement.

I think you measured Lugo she wouldn't be 5.5. Maybe but sure doesn't look it to me.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Some coaches stick to the same 'ol thing.
Some seek to grow strategy.

Underlying factors of what colleges offer or rather what they let players academic goals be...
Play a role in rosters.

The top 25 schools attract top athletes.
They will always get first pick do to status.
At that level they will start competing against the top batters almost every game.
Imo
*Personality/demeanor is just as important as talent!
And more important than size.

Dec 11, 2010
But maybe they do pay a price because we hear about college softball coaches getting relieved all the time when their programs do not consistently win.
I am not convinced of this at all. I think we hear all the time of coaches being relieved because of controversy.

I personally think college softball is a lot like high school softball in a surprising number of ways. I think college coaches often are out of sight and out of mind of athletic directors just like hs. As long as the team and coach keeps a low profile and doesn’t cause any controversy, a coach can ride a sub-.500 record for a surprising amount of time.

Contrast that to football. In hs, the parents won’t stand for losing. When athletic directors hire football coaches, jeez they put some effort into it. Hiring softball coaches? Hurry up and get someone hired so this is off of their desk.

The mediocrity of some local colleges is stunning. It’s across the board and it’s long term coaches.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802