backswing or not

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TNdad

TNdad
Feb 7, 2010
EAST TN
My daughter has experimented with eliminating her backswing. She has been pretty successful but occasionaly it seems her backswing gets wrapped around her back causing arm circle problems. We used a radar gun and did not see any difference in velocity. The only pitch she is having trouble with is the curve and drop curve. Any opinions on backswing? Or tips on how to improve curve? Maybe we should wait until the off season. Thanks

Jun 13, 2012
My DD has also eliminated backswing, it was throwing her balance off at times. The backswing doesn't provide any speed since the movement is taking the ball and her weight away from the plate. If she is loading the drive leg and driving hard then that is what is providing the momentum that contributes to the speed. Loosing the backswing has made my DD much more accurate and balanced.

Mar 19, 2012
My DD also eliminated her backswing and it has also improved her accurracy and speed (leg drive). With the backswing she got into the habit of leaning forward, which threw everything off (arm circle, step, etc.). It was a chain reaction event. She also had decreased leg drive with it. She has now eliminated it and her arm circle is much more consistant and smooth. Her timing has improved and has been able to develop a good, consistant rise ball.

TNdad

TNdad
Feb 7, 2010
EAST TN
My DD also eliminated her backswing and it has also improved her accurracy and speed (leg drive). With the backswing she got into the habit of leaning forward, which threw everything off (arm circle, step, etc.). It was a chain reaction event. She also had decreased leg drive with it. She has now eliminated it and her arm circle is much more consistant and smooth. Her timing has improved and has been able to develop a good, consistant rise ball.

The only problem we encountered was with curve ball.

Baclswing

My daughter has experimented with eliminating her backswing. She has been pretty successful but occasionaly it seems her backswing gets wrapped around her back causing arm circle problems. We used a radar gun and did not see any difference in velocity. The only pitch she is having trouble with is the curve and drop curve. Any opinions on backswing? Or tips on how to improve curve? Maybe we should wait until the off season. Thanks

If you watch Bill Hillhouse or utube him as I have many times you will see that in order to get maxium speed you must be able to pitch to your glove to keep everything in the power line.S.Sanchez Alb.N.M

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
Backswing not only does not add anything it detracts from a pitcher's ability to be their best. Sure, some great pitchers have used the backswing, but they would have been even better without it.

Jul 16, 2012
Backswing is just a style thing, but if you want to work on her having a straight backswing have her stand next to a wall. If she is right handed then her right arm is along side the wall then she goes into her backswing while keeping her arm next to the wall. She needs to develop muscle memory so have her practice this a lot. If a girl feels like she needs a backswing then let her do it.

Pitching Coach

Buster Combs

Oct 31, 2010
After reading this I asked dd if she would try without a backswing. We have practiced twice without it & I am quite impressed with the results. Her stride is a little shorter but her speed & accuracy really improved! She says if feels a little strange not doing the backswing but she is happy with the results as well!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad