Back Hand Not Flat

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 21, 2010
So, a quick chat with DD's hitting instructor and he tells me she rolls her wrist early. We knew that and it was supposed to be something DD worked on amongst other things. He says she needs to keep her back hand flat, palm facing up going into contact. Might be the reason she hits alot of balls to the infield. Not sure where this started because she used to hit to the grass. What I'm wondering is, should I not address this now with two tournaments left this season, and jump on it when we're done? Or should we do some work now? He suggest alot of T work until we get back into his facility--We have practice on the day he works with her. We won't be back in his facility until mid July.

The thing is, she is hitting the ball. Rarely strikes out, but isn't hitting like she used to. I'd like to see more balls out in the grass, maybe closer or over the fence.

Thanks!

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
Has the pitching slowed down? Is she early to the ball now? Reverse top hand drill helps promote longer through the ball if she is early to it. I've come to like the reverse top hand off a T regardless of wrist rolling or not. Your mileage may vary. Just reverse the top hand and take full swings. Let the bat come out of the top hand on extension. She doesn't need to let go of it when she goes back to normal. 5 reversed, 2 normal swings off T, rinse and repeat. I think it helps with a lot of "stuff" like back slapping :)

Jun 21, 2010
She has a fast bat swing. She struggles with slower pitchers, but does well with faster ones. We did some t work just now. Some dry swings to get her to see where her hand is at contact zone. Then a few buckets. I didn't have a lot of time to talk to her coach. Abbygale, is my DD's name, but with a gail. We'll try the reverse top hand drill.

Oct 25, 2009
Yes, you need to work the palm up drill now. Hit long tee on the field (not into a net is better). The wrist rolling over is definitely keeping the distance down.

The drill abbygale posted is an excellent drill. It is for working on extending through the zone—something you won't be able to do if you roll your wrists early.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
My DD had the same problem, rolling her wrists. Told her to use the front elbow/ forearm to guide the bat barrel to the ball (backhand drill) and follow through with the hands up around the front shoulder, the problem went away. Rolling the wrists usually happens when the front elbow drops down and into the body. Hope this helps.

Oct 25, 2009
Word of caution! Do not confuse "palm up/palm down" or "flat hands" to mean they are level to the ground. They are level to the plane of the pitch. Bat flat like this "—" would be palm up/palm down level to the ground. Bat angle like this "\" palm up/palm down would have the same angle. Hope that makes sense.

Jun 21, 2010
Thank you for the suggestions. I enjoy the fact that my DD hits the ball, especially against very good pitchers. I'm frustrated that the ball doesn't fly out to the grass like it did last year. She knows I post on this forum asking for help and values the feedback and suggestions.

softballphreak, got your word of caution.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
Yeah I understand where you are coming from. The fix for some problems would set your DD back for the final two tourneys but I agree with the others here that this is a problem that can be tackled now.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
Agree that being early can lead to premature wrist roll. By any chance does she hit off of a pitching machine?

A "V" type hands to the ball swing path can also lead to rolling the wrist early.

A good hand flattening move followed by throwing the bat through the air (helicopter drill) is one drill you may want to try.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12