At What Point Do You Approach the Coach?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JJS

Jan 9, 2015
As others have posted a little discreetly for my tastes, RUN FAR, FAR AWAY AS FAST AS POSSIBLE! This is a case of the organization feeding a pitching coach who may, or may not know the first thing about it. Either way, the coaches are putting all of their faith in that individual and if your DD doesn't go to him, then she has absolutely ZERO chance of making the pitching line-up. I would quickly look for another team if it were my DD and even if it was a team that had enough pitchers, I would have her play rec to get circle time and use the TB team to keep her defensive skills and hitting up to par with the higher levels of play. JMHO.

Agreed. "My kid became a great pitcher by not getting circle time" said no pitcher's parent ever.

Apr 14, 2011
With all the advice to leave, before you pack up and run, how does your DD feel about the team?

I know at that age my DD had fun and loved her teammates and wouldn't even think of leaving. Which is probably why I just stayed out of worrying about what position she played during games and just let her have fun playing. She is still close friends with most of her 1st teams 6-7 years later. I ask her now and she would never have changed a thing.

Apr 18, 2015
I assume your DD play other positions? If she does I might just not say anything... but thats me.

A few years ago my DD was in a similar boat as a 1st year 9yo on a 10U club team with 5 or 6 older pitchers where she wouldn't pitch even though it might have been close (probably not as close if you ask other parents). I just kept practicing with her and didn't sweat it. She was able to pitch during her rec games. She actually never pitched for that 1st club team of hers, she played other positions and was happy contributing as a hitter and position player. When her club team moved to 12U (she was still 10 but playing up) they had 9 girls taking pitching lessons out of 13 on the roster.
The best 3 pitched in games. She didnt pitch for that team either. She pitched in rec and kept improving. In her 2nd year of 12U (as an 11yo) she eventually made top 3 as a pitcher/OF on that same club team and was considered to be very good. She pitched for a few more years and had a very successful youth career even taking her LL team to the Softball World Series in Oregon as a pitcher and helped in winning an ABC national championship at 14u (really more of a super regional than national). After all that when she moved to 18u (right after 14u) she realized she wouldnt pitch at the level she wanted to play at (Division 1) so she stopped pitching and focused on her hitting and defense.

I guess what I'm getting at is... if she is meant to be a pitcher she will eventually be a pitcher. If you can put her on a rec team where she gets innings that might be an option. IMO the best thing I did with my DD was let her play other positions and didnt force the pitching issue. I never once told the coach where to put her. She learned how to play other positions, and do what that particular team needed and really just loved the game and learned to understand how to be a true team player.

Really that is the approach I am trying to convince myself to take, she is the 3rd youngest on the team and does need to develop her skills in other areas as well, it is a little heart wrenching when she comes home from practice and says "Well, didnt get to pitch again", she knows she has been working hard and just want a chance to show it. My advice to her has been "If you work as hard this winter as you have been, I promise you come spring, you will get a chance to prove yourself".

As far as "run, run far away" from the team, all tryouts for next years TB teams are over, so the only options at this point is to stay with the team, suck it up, or wait for a team to advertise for a pitcher. Could have her play TB and pitch rec ball with her friends, but with a 10U baseball player and 14U SB player, that schedule may send my wife over the edge. The flip side to staying is that the teams organization has a good history of producing fundamentally sound teams and players.

Jul 15, 2015
I coach a 10u team. I have 5 pitchers. Only 4 have seen game time so far this year. Only 3 threw in our first tourney. The 9u girl hasn't seen game time yet. IMO she isn't ready. But that doesn't mean I don't believe some day the kid will be a good pitcher. I wouldn't just run from the team. I would talk to the coach. See what he thinks. I would suggest calling him on an off day and talking to him. I had a girl last year that wanted to catch. I didn't have her catch last year do to a throwing issue. The throwing has improved and now she catches for me. Maybe the pitching is good but something else needs to be fixed before she is game ready.

The one concern I would have is why isn't she pitching in practice? All 5 of my girls are throwing in practice. It is one thing to not pitch in games, but not throwing in practice would worry me.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Really that is the approach I am trying to convince myself to take, she is the 3rd youngest on the team and does need to develop her skills in other areas as well, it is a little heart wrenching when she comes home from practice and says "Well, didnt get to pitch again", she knows she has been working hard and just want a chance to show it. My advice to her has been "If you work as hard this winter as you have been, I promise you come spring, you will get a chance to prove yourself".

As far as "run, run far away" from the team, all tryouts for next years TB teams are over, so the only options at this point is to stay with the team, suck it up, or wait for a team to advertise for a pitcher. Could have her play TB and pitch rec ball with her friends, but with a 10U baseball player and 14U SB player, that schedule may send my wife over the edge. The flip side to staying is that the teams organization has a good history of producing fundamentally sound teams and players.

I don't know about other locales, but in Georgia, there is a "Coach's Corner" Forum much like DFB. When my DD didn't make the first team she tried out for, I posted on that site describing her and her experience and seven coaches PM'ed me. We tried out with four and got two offers. This was after the first round of tryouts. You might consider posting something like that locally to see if there's anyone still needing a pitcher.

Nov 3, 2014

I assume your DD play other positions? If she does I might just not say anything... but thats me.

A few years ago my DD was in a similar boat as a 1st year 9yo on a 10U club team with 5 or 6 older pitchers where she wouldn't pitch even though it might have been close....

If you can put her on a rec team where she gets innings that might be an option. IMO the best thing I did with my DD was let her play other positions and didnt force the pitching issue. I never once told the coach where to put her. She learned how to play other positions, and do what that particular team needed and really just loved the game and learned to understand how to be a true team player.

+1

I recommend our pitchers at this age to do the same: play with a team to develop other positions, keep working to earn any circle time they can and also join a rec team where they can pitch to their heart's content.

Dec 27, 2014
If she truly has to be blessed by the HE PC to pitch, then I would keep practicing but actively looking to audition another team.

In the mean time find ways for DD pitching to be seen the HC. Then have an open conversation about what it takes to get in the rotation - or even practice plan once the HC has seen her pitch enough.

When DD was nine she joined a startup 10u team last spring. Kind of a similar situation where there were, coincidentally, 7 pitchers ahead of her that the coach had prior knowledge of, and a year older than DD. She kept practicing and, eventually, coach was able to see what DD had. She is now in the top 2 for rotation and probably sees the most innings. DD really likes her team, and the coaches, so I am happy we did not have to move on. But if she had not gotten a chance I would have kept checking the local board for tryouts until we found what was hopefully a better fit.

Oct 10, 2013
I coach a 10U team also. I can say I have 6 kids that could pitch but 3 practice and will see their pitching coaches, 1 just started pitching and seeing a coach and 2 others will only practice at our practices. I ask them to work at home but...they don't. I try to throw those 2 for batting practices. Hard to pitch the last 2 when they don't practice at home or with a coach.

It sounds like your daughter is practicing, so that's great! Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi